St. Chapelle ....Louvre museum


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
September 22nd 2012
Published: September 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Shannon arrived today and took thr RER from CDG airport to Chatelet Les Halle's close to our apt. Marty and Sharon met her at the station and by noonish we were on our way to visit the St. Chapelle Cathedral.

St. Chapelle (Holy Shrine) is the second most famous medieval monument in Paris. It was built to enshrine Christ's Crown of Thorns, pieces of the cross, a nail from the cross, Roman soldier's lance--Said to have pierced Christ's side....and drops of Christ's blood.

Wewalked down to see Notre Dame Cathedral...but the line to enter was so long we decided to return another day. We strolled through the lovely cobbled streets to Place Dauphine. Marty had been told about a lovely Cafe here called La Rose de France. We ate a good lunch and walked across Pont Neuf Bridge....hopped the Metro to the Louvre.

Once at the Louvre we entered through the pyramid and headed toward the Italian Art on floor one to see the Mona Lisa ...we also saw the famous Winged Victory of Samothrace....this Hellenistic treasure, stands atop a stone ship radiating grace and power. It commerates a naval triumph. While wandering through we also saw the Medieval Moats, the remains of a medieval fortress uncovered in the 1980's. While in the Italian Art winng we saw the Venus de Milo ...believed to represent the Goddess Aphrodite. It dates back to the second century BCand was discovered on the Greek island of Milo's in 1820 .

By the time we covered this much ground we were all tired..and still had a walk home so we decided to call it a day.....all are resting now but plan to go get some onion soup for dinner .....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb