9 Things I Wish I Knew Before My Visit to Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
November 25th 2020
Published: November 25th 2020
Edit Blog Post

No one forgets their first trip to Paris, and neither could I. The excitement of being in the city is itself so high that you will feel on top of the world. Though I loved every bit of my trip, there are definitely a few things that could have gone better if I had known the following information before my visit.

1. Tipping Is Not Mandatory:




Make a note of the fact that unlike in the US, tipping is not mandatory here, although it is completely up to you and it will be appreciated if you tip. Do not feel guilty about not leaving tip as the service charges are included in your bill and the servers are paid well.

2. Learn a Little French:




It is always polite to learn a few phrases of the local language such as greeting people in French, thanking them or asking for directions. The locals will really appreciate it and willfully help you out.

3. Ask for Tap Water at Restaurant:




Paying for water is an utter waste of money as tap water in restaurants is well filtered. Use the money to enjoy a cappuccino after your meal instead.

4. Plan Your Itinerary After Checking the Timings:




Many attractions are closed on Monday or Tuesday. When you make an itinerary, check google to confirm the timings of the attraction you plan to visit. You should also avoid rush hours to skip long lines.

5. Use Public Transport:




This goes without saying that using public transport is a great way to save money. You just need to understand the subway connectivity. Remember not to throw metro ticket till you are out of the station, as you may be asked to show your ticket at the exit by inspectors. Most importantly, remember the door automatically do not open unless someone who needs to get off pushes the button to open the door.

6. Walk, Walk, and Walk:




You will be surprised to know how much you need to walk around getting to places. It may be tiresome, but you also get to see small cafes and attractions not listed on your itinerary. This also gives you a better chance to interact with the locals. Remember to pack a comfortable pair of shoe, Gucci sunglasses, water, backpack and apply a sunscreen before you leave your hotel.

7. Carry

Change:


You need to pay to use public toilets, hence carry change to pay and use a bathroom. The use of toilet in tourist attraction places are free. Better use one before you leave the place to avoid spending money necessarily on a pay toilet.

8. Stay in the Central Area:




You may be traveling on a budget, but it is preferable that you stay in the central location rather than staying outside the city, which is cheaper. Remember, you are saving on travel time and also the money you spend on traveling.

9. Know When to Travel:




People may advise you against traveling in the month of august but it is not all bad. In fact, the city is usually empty, hence you will enjoy it more. There may be a few shops and restaurants that close by then, but do not worry as there are several great ones open.

Also, do not forget that the city is a hub of fashion and is a must place to shop along with creating splendid memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb