Paris 2018........we are here


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
September 2nd 2018
Published: September 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Paris 2018



Day 1........



The tedious journey across the Atlantic is finally over. We have arrived in our beautiful Paris! I have written this statement many times and each time our cab leaves the Pariferique and we approach our hotel I still look out the window in wonder noting how lucky I am to be here. Happy to be returning once again and yet seeing it with new eyes. It never gets old.

We arrived late afternoon to a beautiful Summer day by the Seine. The streets filled with tourists and Parisians walking down the avenues or sitting at a corner bistro soaking in the Sun and scenery. Immediately the trials of the trip over and faster pace of home life quickly silp away from my being which is being filled with the anticipation of a new adventure in France with Terry and Catherine who are here with us for the first time.

We waste no time and within an hour and a half of checking in we are out and ready to take a walk down Boulevard St. Michael. I've taken this walk so many times before that I forget to slow down for Catherine and Terry so they can check out the store fronts and beautiful architecture. We cross the street and head into the heart of the Latin Quarter. It is bustling here with people, shops and bistros. Tourists and Parisians alike are happily talking as they make their way down the cobbled streets between slowly moving cars. Hawkers in the bistro doorways loudly attempting to lure us into their fine establishments by describing their delicious foods and drinks but we cannot be swayed or coxed to change our course.

It is tradition that before our first dinner in Paris we stroll down to Le Depart for cocktails. a little brassiere by the Seine where we sit and watch the world pass by. With Catherine and Terry in tow we find a front row seat and enjoy the show! While sitting we asked a woman who was by herself if she would take a photo of us which she did. After that we spent the time chatting with her while the world paraded before us. Her name was Karen and she was from Australia and a 5th grade school teacher. She is in Paris alone but will soon travel to Washington DC to meet some of her American friends and then will fly to California and explore our beautiful State.
We finally get up and make our way to the Saint Germaine part of the Latin Quarter. As usual it was alike with people, musicians playing old American Standards filled the air and the streets were filled with people from every corner of our Earth. It's just exhilarating to be a part of Paris if even for a short time. We chose "Cafe de Paris" for our dinner and sat for a while enjoying the sights and sounds of the Latin Quarter. Eventually the strain of the day caught up with us and our bodies demanded sleep. We reluctantly and slowly walked back to our hotel to sleep and awake sunrise for another adventurous day in Paris.

Day 2

Our first full day in Paris is upon us and we woke to the early morning sounds of a city barely emerging for the day. Our room on the third floor of our hotel has two large windows facing the the tree lined square at Place de la Sorbonne. I pulled opened the windows to let in the crisp morning air. It was early and the garbage trucks were grinding their way through the empty streets, a few barking dogs could be heard in the distance but most of the city still slept. The large rectangular fountain just below up sprang to life and the bubbling water echoed through the square. There was still a chill in the air from the evening before but the blue sky above promised us a warm day.

We dress and head out to the brassiere next door L'Ecritoire. I could hardly wait for my first cup of French coffee which ironically is prepared for an Americans. Cafe au lait with just a hint of chocolate. The perfect beginning to a new day in Paris. As soon as Catherine and Terry join us we head out toward what I consider the world's perfect park. Luxembourg Park, it has it all.........Rows and rows of perfectly manicured trees. Standing four stories tall, each in their own container shaved in a perfect square pattern. Blooming flowers in pinks, yellows, reds and orange of every variety are laid out in some type of uniform fashion. Some used for boarders, some dripping from the many stones vases placed on top of the decorative balustrades that ran through the park at the top of every staircase. Whimsical mythical statues such as Pan celebrating life are placed throughout the park on the walking paths, along with the solemn statues of the many queens who ruled France through the centuries. There are many playgrounds, tennis courts, boules courts, a pond for children's boats ready to be pushed with sticks and much, much more. The center piece of this park is the Senate Building that sits on one end, it is a perfect example of classical French architecture. One could easily be happily lost at Luxembourg park for years.
We must move on as there is much to see. The next stop will be the Eiffel Tower. Down into the metro we go.
Tom and I were able to discover Paris and her secrets because of the Metro and a Christmas gift from his brother Doug and family. A compact walking tour of Paris using cards designed to acquaint you with the city from metro stop to metro stop. You pick a card, go to the beginning metro stop and walk your way to the next metro stop via the map on the card. It is genius really and the perfect gift for us. There are 40 cards and if you use them all you will eventually connect the dots around Paris and truly know your way around town.

We emerge at the Military School metro stop and approach the Eiffel Tower from the back. We notice a lot of construction going on but it doesn't surprise us as Paris is always under a state of renewal no matter where you are. However, this time appears to be a little different. As we approach the base of the tower there are detours everywhere and we realize we are unable to walk under the tower, which is something we've done every time we visit. We follow the detour around the base and see that where there was once unobstructed space around the tower now has tall bullet proof partitions. There is a line of people slowly going through security much like any airport to view the tower up close. I'm shocked and saddened that the view of the Eiffel Tower is now forever changed to accommodate the public while protecting them against terrorism. We continue towards the Seine and on the front side of the Tower we see multiple permanent barricades placed there to prevent cars or trucks from careening into the unsuspecting public as they visit the Eiffel Tower. I wanted Catherine and Terry to see the Eiffel Tower from the Trocadero which is across the Seine so we continue on and climb the stairs to best view the tower from afar. At least from here you can barely see the change that surrounds the park.
One Metro stop later we again emerge on the Champs Elysee to quickly view the Arc de Triumphe and then walk down the Avenue to our lunch spot at Deauville.

Still exhausted from the journey over we return to the hotel for a well deserved nap then get ready for dinner.
Tonight we dine at Le Grande Colbert. Our table was waiting for us and we are seated immediately upon arrival. This restaurant was made popular by the American movie "Somethings Got to Give" with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson. The restaurant is a throwback to the roaring twenties last century. Highly polished dark wood wainscoting reach down to the white marble floors. The restaurant is partitioned into private sections by etched glass held in place with brass fittings. The room is lit by many brass and bubble like orb chandeliers. The fleur de lis and scrolling on the perfectly carved dark wood bar appeared to be a carpenters' masterpiece.



We happened to be seated next to two gals from Georgia who were having the time of their lives. The food was scrumptious and a fine time was had by all.
Tomorrow is our last full day in Paris, in retrospect we needed to have at least 3 more days to explore Paris with Terry and Catherine. We are not able to even scratch the surface, there is so much to take in...........definitely need to come back again.

Advertisement



5th September 2018

Yaaaaay!
Love it, mama! Wish we were there with you! <3

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb