A visit around Saint Germain en Laye


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Saint-Germain-en-Laye
October 25th 2010
Published: October 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Monday 25th October:
Today we went out for a walk around Saint Germain, it's a really nice old town with lots of shops and things to see. Our first stop was in front of the chateau in Saint Germain, it's not the most beautiful chateau in France but it's quite impressive. No-one lives here any longer but it is now a Museum which is a place with lots of old objects in it.
We then went into the park next to the chateau and I saw the place where Louis XIV was born, he was one of the French kings, they used to live in Saint Germain before they built an immense palace in nearby Versailles.

The park next to the chateau is really big and has a huge terrace which goes all the way to a town called
Maisons Laffitte about 10km away. There is also a big forest next to the park with lots of deer that live there. It also has a small vineyard on the slopes going down to the river Seine.

We could see Paris from the park and I even saw the Eiffel Tower! You can see it if you look at the photo I took, the spike in the distance. We also saw the train from Paris come into the station at Saint Germain as it crosses over the bridge.

On the way back we had to stop off to get some bread from the bakers. In France a bakery is called a 'Boulangerie' and I learned how to ask for bread in French! You say "Bonjour, je voudrais une baguette de pain s'il vous plait" and then when you leave you say "Au Revoir" which means good bye.


I've taken lots of pictures, have fun looking at them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb