3 days in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 7th 2005
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sacre coeurSacre coeurSacre coeur

The Sacre Coeur at night time is a must in Paris, me and a australian girl called Ally who i met at my hotel went up there with a bottle of wine, you can see the whole of paris lit up and there are loads of people up there playing music, drinking, laughing. there was an odd guy with a golf club! but he went away after everyone at once in many languages shouted it!!!!
well, my trip started off in devon, lovely tom gave me a lift to exeter airport at 4.30am!!!! i got to paris charles de gaulle airport early this morning, luckily i didnt have any checked in luggage, you dont need much for three days. i got outside and tryed to find the bus, but i could not, went down stairs to arrivals and got lost, then was told the best one to get although expensive was the air france 4 (from where id just left) that would take me to montparnasse, although that is quite a way from montmartre i got it to get me out of the airport, and im glad i did, when i stepped off the bus at montparnasse da gare the first thing that greeted me was the beautiful smell of the lilac trees, i went for a walk to a market and tryed my patchy french. iwent to montparnasse market which was amazing, so much beautiful food, the smells are the most amazing thing from one stall to the next your senses go mad!

i then got on the metro which i was slightly nervous about to start with but it was fine, just like the tube. except the tube information guys don't tell you, you are B' (which apparently means beau (beautiful) not a bad way to start a trip! i went to my hotel, im staying at the hotel caulaincourt in Rue caulaincourt, its cheap and cheerful. and the concierge is lovely, i cant work out which is more beautiful- french men or french food!

on my second day i went to a market, when your on a budget a good way to eat is to just buy stuff from the supermarket (today i got camambert, wine (of course! im in france!) tomatoes and fresh bread) although as there is so much lovely food you have to be careful not to get carried away! i went to the Saint Ouen Market, its a lot more run down than i thought it would be and you have to be careful with your belongings, the stuff it sells is quite like portabello. i ended up buying a skirt like one i got from india but at about 20 times the price and i ended up speaking in hindi to the guy! (cosmopolitan!)

i then went to the louvre and the place de concorde, ITS HUGE! and very clean.

in the evening i completed an ambition which was to go to the Buddha bar and have a cocktail (i say one as its bloody expensive!) it is a beautiful bar, they play all their music and there is a huge statue of a gold buddha right in the middle.

night time is the best time to go to the eiffel tower, i dont usually like modern man made stuf but it is wicked, at night its all lit up and cool as! i couldnt afford to go up so i just sat and drunk my beer and people watched.

today was my last day and i went to the louvre, (since ive read the da vinci code ive really wantd to see the mona lisa) i actually wasnt that impressd with it (or what i could se of it) there were so many tourists crowding round it and its so small it was hard to see. its odd as right opposite it (as if on purpose) there is the biggest painting i have ever seen and its amazing but yet ther was no one looking at that!

the actual louvre itself is almost its own best artwork, the architecture and detail is incredible, so take time to look up!

i went to notre dame which is gorgeous and then via an english band playing on the bridge went to ile st louis which ive decided is my favourite part of paris, its a little island thats very arty, the vans are all painted up and there is wicked graffiti everywhere and the food aaah!

gutted to go home, as it was only a short trip but i will definitly be going back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

musicians on Ile st louismusicians on Ile st louis
musicians on Ile st louis

Ile st louis is my favourite part of Paris, its a little island past Notre Dame, on this day there were these english musicians playing on the bridge and it was beautiful to sit there with my pain au chocolat and watch. ile st louis is very arty, there were vans painted up and loads of wkd graffiti, it is definitly somewhere to come and eat aswell!
marketsmarkets
markets

the markets in paris are great, from amazing mouthwatering farmers markets through to clothes and bric a brac (i hate that word). you do have to watch out for your belongings though as there are signs up all over the place about theives
hotel caulaincourthotel caulaincourt
hotel caulaincourt

the view from my dorm window


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb