Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 4th 2012
Published: September 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Chateau de VersaillesChateau de VersaillesChateau de Versailles

This is our first view from the walk over from the train station. Very impressive.
Saturday - Day 19

This was our first full day in Paris. Before going to sleep we researched the Rick Steve’s guide book for ideas. The first thing that you see under "Sights" is info on the purchase of a Paris Museum Pass. We learned that on the first Sunday of each month, the major museums have an open house day. So, we thought we were lucky given that this Sunday (tomorrow) would qualify. We then decided to go Versailles today and the big museums tomorrow.

To get to Versailles we took the subway to the RER-C train for a 30-minute ride to the town. Then we walked about ten minutes over to the King's residence. Well, it was for about 100 years until the French revolution in 1789. In 1837, this palace was re-opened as a museum. It is now considered the most impressive of all European palaces.

We were once again lucky with beautiful weather. Given that the lines were long and we were burned out on touring castles and palaces over the last three weeks, we decided to only visit the enormous gardens. We were pleased with the decision.

We discovered that on summer
Chateau de VersaillesChateau de VersaillesChateau de Versailles

Jackie is happy. Another of her bucket list items.
weekends, loud classical music is broadcast throughout the gardens to accompany spectacular fountain shows. Louie XIV actually had his engineers re-route a river to fuel the pumps during the 17th century. This was a highlight of the tour.

Towards the back of the gardens is the "Grand Canal" which is a one-mile long artificial lake. During Louis's day, it appeared as a mini-ocean with nine ships, including a 32-canon warship. The royalty were rowed throughout the canal in imported Venetian gondolas.

We decided to have a picnic lunch on the lake. Jackie was unsure if I could handle the rowing duties but ultimately agreed. She actually looked like royalty to me as I rowed my queen around the lake. Lunch on the lake was nice. I tried to sing to my Queen as I rowed but her laughter cut me off.

We finished our tour and headed back to the hotel for more rest and relaxation.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Chateau de VersaillesChateau de Versailles
Chateau de Versailles

Long lines, again.
Chateau de VersaillesChateau de Versailles
Chateau de Versailles

This is inside the grounds, East of the castle.
Versailles GardensVersailles Gardens
Versailles Gardens

Neptune, one of many, many statues.
Versailles GardensVersailles Gardens
Versailles Gardens

This is the Latona Fountain and Parterre. Whatever that is...
Versailles GardensVersailles Gardens
Versailles Gardens

The flowers were pretty but this one had a hungry bumblebee busy at work.
Versailles GardensVersailles Gardens
Versailles Gardens

The castle viewed from the garden.
Grand CanalGrand Canal
Grand Canal

The Queen of the D'Arcy family of yore.
Grand CanalGrand Canal
Grand Canal

Captain Tom, working hard for the Queen.
Grand CanalGrand Canal
Grand Canal

Nice place for a picnic.
Return TripReturn Trip
Return Trip

We were pleased with the comfort and speed of the train system.
ParisParis
Paris

Here we are back on the street people-watching.


18th September 2012

Paris!
You made a good choice on touring the grounds Versallies ~ a few years ago, I went with Pam and it took ALL day, in line to do the palace, etc. It was nice but I enjoyed the gardens as you did. You both have made great choices and enjoyed a super and leisurely tour, which is the best way to enjoy Europe. Can't wait to see and ride in your new car! love, dianne

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb