Day 3 in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 21st 2012
Published: May 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had a great day at Versailles, we did a lot of walking. We were out for over 9 hours. The tour went for 7 and then we came back into Paris and checked out the Eiffel tower.

The tour of Versailles was really good, our guide was a young American guy. He was quite funny and very good. He told us all about the history and we heard quite a few stories about the goings on.......there was a lot of that happening. We were in the gardens for a few hours, we only saw a fraction of the area. We got to see some of the smaller gardens that are only open on certain days. We were very lucky to see the fountain water displays and the music playing, it was all quite impressive. There are over 300 fountains. The area of Versaille used to be 20,000 acres but now it is only 2,000. Then we went into the chateau, we were in there for about an hour. All I can say is it is huge and grandiose! Only 6 percent of the chateau is open to the public. The inside was really crowded and felt like a rugby scrum! We couldn't really take our time and enjoy it because of the crowd. It was all quite amazing.

The weather was very overcast and cool all morning. It was really dark as we were going into the chateau and then it poured down. By the time we came out the sun was shining. We have been very lucky with the weather, let's hope it keeps up.

On the way home we stopped off to have a look at the Eiffel Tower, I didn't realise just how big it is. One huge steel structure, we want to see it at night with all the lights.

Our little studio is very good, it has everything we need. It is a bit bigger than I thought it would be. It has a well stocked pantry....vegemite and peanut butter, it feels like home. There is a supermarket across the road and the Metro is just down the street. The area is a little....gritty, a bit ethnic but I guess a lot of Paris is like that.

Off to see Pere La Chaise cemetery...famous dead people..Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison and many more. We are also going to check out Sacre Coeur, catheral with good views.

Xxx

S and G


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb