Our Tour De Paris 2011 (Day 2)


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
October 20th 2011
Published: November 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, 20th October 2011


Breakfast was served at the comfort of our hotel where we occupied our favourite spot for the next 3 days. Our friendly proprietor was helpful. Through his help, we managed to fine-tune the itinerary for our day 2 programme in Paris.

After brief stops at Jardin Des Plantes and the iconic Pantheon Building, we were (in fact, I was) disappointed to learn that the Memorial De La Shoah was closed today. A hand-written notice in French was hung on the main door. Inside the administrative office, the place was pitched dark and the main gates remained firmly shut.

For sure, this was a wasted trip and a setback for our tour. As a war buff, I had read rave reviews of this Memorial which documented the events leading to the Jews genocide during the 2nd World War. This was a must-see for me in Paris.

Armed with the disappointment, 3 of us chanced upon a local brasserie for a generous serving of salmon and escargots. Nice service and friendly atmosphere, this was easily the most satisfying meal I had in Paris!

Equally impressive was the Notre Dame Cathedral as I wasn't expecting anything quite elaborate like that. Since this was our first church encounter from the many we were going to visit during our 12 days tour, the visit to Notre Dame left a deep impression even for non-believers like me.

Even so, I hoped that as the days wore on, I would not have to suffer from "Church Fatigue" by the end of our trip.

The rest of the day was reserved for the girls as they made a beeline to Paris Opera Station for a visit to the La Fayette Departmental Store to satisy all their retail needs. Since it was Thursday evening when we visited, the store was opened till 8.30pm for "late" night shopping. However, this was certainly considered "early" for Asian standards.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



8th November 2011

Do write more... im interested to read and learn more abt the places there. :p
20th November 2011

Awaiting patiently for your Day 3-12 entries... :)

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb