Day 7,8 & 9: Last Stop - Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 5th 2011
Published: October 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

ParisParisParis

Busy streets and the River Seine.
05/09/2011 - Today was the earliest start of the trip so far, the alarm going off at 5AM to give us enough time to get ourselves ready have breakfast and make our way to the Nice train station. Our high speed TGV train to Paris would was departing at 6:30AM and incredibly, would only take 5 hours to get to Paris, almost 1000km away. We jumped aboard, found our seats and before we left my Dad and I went to get some photos of amazing high speed TGV train. Shortly after we were on our way, the train would take us back past Avignon along the coast before heading straight up towards Paris. It was hard to believe that it took us almost 2 hours to get back to Avignon because there were obviously speed limits in this area of France. But as soon as we entered the French countryside we were flying, reaching speeds of over 300kms, everything outside was just a constant blur.

We arrived into Gare du Nord in the early afternoon and jumped straight onto the Metropolitan and made our way to our apartment. We were meeting the owner who would give us the
NiceNiceNice

On board the high speed TGV train from Nice to Paris.
keys and show us around the place and after waiting quite a long time she eventually turned up and took us upstairs. We decided to stay in an apartment after the hotels at that time of year were unbelievably expensive, plus it was also a good way to experience the Parisian way of life. Once we were settled in we headed out to the streets of Paris and walked a few blocks to the amazing Louvre museum. I made certain that my parents came back to have a good look inside, it would be criminal to come this far and not visit the largest museum in the world. We walked through the Jardin des Tuileries towards the Champs-Elysees when my parents got their first glimpse of the top of the Eiffel Tower. They were so excited, and couldn’t believe they were actually here in Paris. We continued walking past the Place de la Concorde and down the famous Champs-Elysees until we decided to keep an eye out for the tourist sightseeing bus. As we reached the end of the Champs-Elysees near the Arc de Triomphe we spotted one and jumped aboard.

We were on the sightseeing bus for quite
ParisParisParis

The incredible Eiffel Tower in the sunhine.
a long time as it was such a good way to see the entire city. Eventually, on the other side of the city we get off the bus at the Notre Dame. Hannah and I had never been inside due to the constant massive queues outside, but it was definitely worth the wait. It was already late in the afternoon but after a good look around the Notre Dame we decided to make our way to Sacre Coeur. We warned my parents that this part of Paris was a little dodgy compared to center of the city so brought them in case Hannah’s French skills were needed. Dragging my mum past the hundreds of souvenir stalls we reached the impressive church and went inside to have a look inside. While here we thought it would be good to have dinner in the artists square but after finally choosing where to eat we found it really average and super expensive, the most expensive meal since we’d been in France. After dinner we headed back to the apartment for some much needed sleep.

06/09/2011 – Hannah and I were woken up quite early due to the noisy neighbors in
ParisParisParis

View from the first level of the Eiffel Tower.
the courtyard below. But since we needed to be up as early as possible to beat the queues at the Eiffel Tower we didn’t mind. We jumped on the sightseeing bus and got off at the Palais de Chaillot where there were some of the best views of the Eiffel Tower in all of Paris. My parents were blown away at the amazing spectacle which was the symbol of Paris, the Eiffel Tower. From here we walked right up to the Eiffel Tower and bought tickets to climb the stairs. We all made it to the first level with relative ease, but my mum refused to go any further, she didn’t like heights and after trying to persuade her with no luck Hannah, Dad and I took the stairs to the second level, then to the glass lift all the way to the top.

I’d been up here before and didn’t remember it being so insanely windy, but the stunning views across Paris were something everyone should experience. After lots of photos in every direction we went back into the glass lift back down to the second level, then headed down to meet mum and try to explain what
ParisParisParis

Notre Dame, the queues were quieter than usual today.
she missed. Soon enough we jumped back on the sightseeing bus and spent most of the afternoon doing laps around the city. We headed back to the apartment for a rest as the weather started to turn. Then went to have dinner at Entrecote on the Champs-Elyees, which as usual was delicious. After dinner we jumped on the Metropolitan and went to the Eiffel Tower which was lit an incredible yellow. We watched as on the hour it sparkled with thousands of bright lights, an amazing sight. Once it had finished we headed back to the apartment and fell asleep.

07/09/2011 – Today was Hannah and I’s final day on this amazing trip in France. Tonight we our catch the Eurostar back into London, while my parents had a couple of days before they returned. Tomorrow was my mum birthday, so Hannah and I gave her a present this morning before we left the apartment. It was going to be a more relaxing day today since Hannah and I had to work tomorrow. First we headed for the Eiffel Tower again and decided to catch a boat tour down the beautiful seine. It was again something Hannah
ParisParisParis

Exploring the streets of Montmartre and Sacre Coeur.
and I had done before and really enjoyed but they were so expensive. Then rest of the afternoon was explored the streets of Paris and eventually had to return to pack our bags for the final time. We said goodbye to my parents for now, and made our way to the train station where we caught the Eurostar back into London. It wasn’t until very late at night when we final arrived home in Muswell Hill after an awesome holiday in France.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb