Paris 1Sept


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 1st 2009
Published: September 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

ParisParisParis

Arc de Triomphe
Late Breakfast at Innova, weather threatening today. People everywhere in the hotel, serves me right in getting up late. Chatted with a guy from USA who was leaving today for home. Shared some useful information on Paris. Raining now as heading out to metro, after 9.30am. Visited the Arc de Triomphe, a 164 foot monument. Climbed to the top and has great views. Centre point of so many boulevards. Read all info and took in all views, decended and crossed the road (underneath). Theres enough room on this round about for around 8 lanes, not that they have lanes. no pedestrian is going to walk into that, lucky they provide underground walkways, though hard to find.

While atop the ADT I noticed other sites further north along the boulevard. Took a long metro ride to the Great Arch and (somebodies) finger. This is a central hub for business with over 150000 people working in the district. The Grand Arch looked to be about 2km away. The metro ride took forever, and we went more than 12km it seemed. I am finding it is hard to judge distances when they build monuments that are SOOOOOO huge. There were three flights of
ParisParisParis

Sacre Coeur
20 steps, each step around 80m long. Its really two office buildings joined at the top. Huge. Took the same metro back to AdT.

Walked the Champs Elysees (one of my big ones on the todo list) in the rain. Stopped for ham and cheese crepe (typical french item). Was cooked in front of me, and was just wonderful, it warmed me up. Walked further along CE to Place de la Concorde and the egyptian obelisk. Depending on who you ask, it was either a gift to, or stolen by the french. Raining solid now, not dampening my thoughts a bit. It was great to see first hand where the final day of the TDF is run. Walked through the Tuileries (Royal Gardens) and up to the Louvre (again). This time I am going in, USA guy said he lost 5 hours in the Louvre yesterday. Bugger, it is closed on Tuesdays. The continuous congregation and leaving of people indicate this is not widely known. One may ask why, to they have to do the dusting or something?

Change of plan. Found the nearest metro and head to Montmartre Basilique du Sacre Coeur. This is some distance north
ParisParisParis

Invalides Cathedral Dome (guilded)
(hard to guess now, prolly around 10km) and on highest land point overlooking the city, it has a lovely 'wedding cake ' basilica (cathedral). Still drissling and climbed the many steps and go inside. Just amazing (yes - again).

Outside the weather has turned nasty. Waited a while but decided i count afford to stand still and walked back to the metro in the pouring rain. Two metros and a short walk later I arrive at the Musee d'Orsay. Great - a 600 person line up, all in the rain. I really did want to see Monet, Picasso, Renoir, Van Gogh, Gaughan, Toulouse -Lautrec. Left the line and walked to the Musee de Orangerie. Also Closed - this is typical for Tuesday aparently. A short walk to the Grand Palais. Theres a pattern here, with half the great museums closed, everyone is queuing for the only ones open, and is not a good day to just spend it in the gardens. Bugger, the queue for the Grand Palais is around 800. Went across the road to the Petit Palais and found a few interesting things but nothing like what i was hoping for. Encountered a few upper class French,
ParisParisParis

View of the Grand Palais from the other side of Pont Alexander III
they take snobbery to a whole new level, lucky the general public is not like that. Crossed the Seine at Pont Alexander III (bridge) and through the Explanade des Invalides. Magnificent. Stopped raining now, getting hot and needing sunny's. Entered the hotel des Invalides which also includes the Musee de Larmee. Sun is shining and my feet are killing me. I give it a once over (including the church). The Invalides is the worlds grandest rest home to house around 4000 wounded soldiers. The church dome was reguilded for the 200th anniversary of the french revolution.

So much more to see, but is 5.30 and exhausted so head home. With all the entrance fees unspent, I treated myself to a restaurant dinner at Lavel, simply lovely. I gave Paris a good shot, have learnt and seen so much. Paris meets expectation of the most beautiful city in the world, and we have the Germans to thank for it. During the world war it wasnt bombed due to ally and german occupation. When Hitler ordered the retreat his instructions were to raze the city as they left. If he wasnt going to have Paris, he wasnt going to let anyone else have it either. A swiss general (I believe) suggested to the German general that he might like to consider how he would be remembered - as the man who razed the most beautiful city in the world, or as a great war leader. He decided to leave Paris standing.

I am looking forward to the Eurostar trip back to London tomorrow. More soon. Take care, Au Revoir.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb