Paris 30Aug


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 30th 2009
Published: August 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ParisParisParis

Eiffel Tower
Today I left Dublin. The Airlink ride to the airport was quick and easy. Checked in with 16.7kg (no charge for the 1.7 over) and waited in the queue. plane was only 35 minutes late so it was a good day.

We landed in Bauvaris which is 80km north of Paris. It was a quaint little airfield. customs were not exciting. Collected the bag and boarded a bus. had to load your own bags and struggle for the bus door. Guy next to me explained a whole bunch of Paris stuff in english so was great.

got off the 45 min bus ride at Port Maillot. Had to find the Subway, not easy in a 7 story building of shops. Especially when you cant speak french. Finally found it, and bought a 3 day travel pass. Finding this is the best way to get around. Found the right subway and headed to Concorde just 4 stops. Change subway and went to Pasteur. The stop is only metres from the hotel door. Great, arrived at 4pm and hadnt eaten since breakfast.

Sorted out a few things and got something to eat and drink. Protocol is so different. Changed clothes,
ParisParisParis

Some gardens, but off to the right, some lads kickin the footy right on the main road
a balmy 24 degrees here, and wandered down to Eiffels Lady. What an amazing sight. Meandered around there for a while. Almost got hit by a bunch of cars - yes, they are on the other side of the road here. And the green man walk sign does not beep, so you cant be off gazing, you have to watch the sign. and the green man is standing, just like the red man. so i have to concentrate as i cant tell the two apart. just walk with everyone else, thats the safest way.

They turned the lights on at the tower, and later turned on the sparkly lights. Very nice. Just for me too. When i walked away, they turned off the sparkly ones. lovely touch for my first night in Paris.

Since being in Europe, i have learnt that the green man is simply a suggestion, you walk whenever you want to really. In Paris, there are no lanes on the road, and traffic goes everywhich way at any time, so do the pedestrians. it is manic, how theres not problems i will never know.

Was walking back to hotel but feet were sore, so tried my shot at another subway. Found the right one, and back right at the front door. Fantastic. Paris is just lovely.

Off for a cycling tour tomorrow. Have sorted the two subways to get to the start.

Another fantastic day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb