Day 12 - Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 17th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was our last full day in Paris and we decided to get on one of the tour busses which circle the main attractions with a get on /get off where you like system.

We travelled to Notre Dame Cathedral where we went inside. The architecture is amazing, as is the artwork inside. Everywhere we go we seem to see ceilings painted with wonderful pictures. I am afraid that the Sistine Chapel may end up being just another painted ceiling. As you wander through a place like Notre Dame you can’t help but marvel at the place, and wonder at how craftsmen with hand tools created this masterpiece. The relative darkness of the place makes the wonderful stained glass windows even more brilliant in their colour and design.

As we left the Cathedral the bells were tolling and we stopped to listen for a time in the square outside which was filled with people coming and going.

We jumped back on the bus and proceeded to the Champs-Elysees where we strolled up towards the Arc De Triomphe. Our next stop was the Trocadero which overlooks the Eiffel Tower, we ventured down to the Paris Aquarium nearby. We were both disappointed at this, and didn’t think it worth the Euro18.50 entry fee.

Back on the bus and we found ourselves at Invalides which holds the tomb of Napoleon I as well as other tombs of his generals and family. The Tomb of Bonaparte is very impressive. The walls surrounding depict Napoleon as a Roman Emperor depicting may of his achievements for the France people. We nearly missed this stop on our journey, but are both very happy we didn’t.

A short bus ride, and we walked by some markets on our way to the Church of St Suplice made famous in Dan Browns book for the Rose Line with runs through it. This church is off the tourist route, even with its notoriety. The stained glass and sculptures in this church make it very worthwhile. We walked quietly, the place just seems to bring you to quiet contemplation, and marvelled yet again at artwork on the walls and ceilings; behind and above amazing sculptures.

A short walk away is the Luxemburg gardens. Parisians come here to play cards, chess, tennis and other activities. At the fountain in front of the main palace children play with model sail boats running around the round pool to catch their boats as the reach the other side. The Gardens are just beautiful and scattered with more amazing sculpture.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb