Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
October 20th 2008
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I have now been in Paris for three weeks. Things are going really good. I am starting to make friends and really enjoying the Paris culture. I am also learning quite a bit about the small things in Paris. For instance, medical stops. My roommate works for Air France as a crisis specialist. Basically, he helps people who have missed their connections or have some type of issue. The other night, there was a client who became very irate when he missed his connection and swung and the female teller. Thierry was right there and stopped the punch with his hand. As it turned out, the man spent the next couple of days in jail, and Thierry had fractured his hand. The doctor prescribed him to a five day medical stop. What this means is that he has the next five days off work, but he can’t really go anywhere. Medical services can phone and check up on him to make sure that he is at home. It feels almost like a sentence. To boot, his hand isn’t that bad, so he is almost fine.
On another note, the men in Paris are interesting. I find I will be walking down the street and get a stare and a hello or something, which is fine. However, when the guy changes his direction to follow me, catch up to me, and start chatting me up, I start to get annoyed. It has happened a few times now and it is really uncomfortable. I had this one guy asking me where I lived. I laughed at him and told him that I was not going to tell him. I was wishing that I was not so close to my house at the time. I have now decided that when I am approached, I am just going to explain that I am on my way to see my boyfriend. I almost brought my diamond ring with me, and I am starting to wish I had, lol. The funny part is that I told my friend Sefia about this and she had not encountered it…yet. Then, when we parted that night, she was approached on the Metro. She said it was the funniest thing, we were not talking about it and hour or so before and then she experienced it.
I joined a Canadian expat group as a means of making some friends. I feel as though I may be cheating myself a bit. Here I am in Paris, going to lengths to meet Canadians. I have met a few Parisians, but I find that I get on with Canadians so much more. There is something to be said about the culture that you are native too. However, this group sent me an email about a Champagne party, put on by the Champagne society, and the people I went with were Parisians. It was at an old boys club just outside of Paris. I showed up at the person’s house (Jonathan’s) who was organizing the event and walked into this cute little studio apartment where four Parisians were sitting around, drinking some wine before we left. The decorations were really funky, something to be said about gay, French taste. We then piled into two cars (there were eight of us in total) and headed to the party. Considering that Jonathan was organizing the event, we were a little early, but it got busier in the night. The Champagne was really good and I had fun dancing with my new friends.
As for school, it is so far so good. I am in workshops for this week and last, mostly focussing on career planning. Next week is when my actual classes start. I have classes Mon-Wed, and the Friday they have decided to schedule my language training. Some people have it on Tuesday mornings, so I am going to see if I can get moved into that group.
As for a job, there is a Canadian expat bar that I am having an interview for today. Yesterday I went on the UNESCO website and applied for an internship for a couple of months. I would much rather work at UNESCO, but I am not sure if they will take me part-time. I have been looking at a few other things too, but my limited French is a downfall. Nevertheless, my French comprehension is getting much better and I am starting to speak more too. I am thinking in a month I will be much stronger and confident with the language.
I think I am going to leave it for now, missing everyone back home.
Xoxo
Leslie



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb