Catacombes - Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 20th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The last day before my departure, I thought to go out when it is a bit chilly and lack of sunshine. The summer is almost over and now it is the beginning of autumn which gives chilliness from all over the directions. Both of us took an underground tube to reach the entrance to Catacombes. It was not easy to locate the place despite the main entrance was in the middle of a little park. The main entrance is closed permanently and there wasn't a sign of right direction. We made two or three circle around the park to find the entrance.

We entered to discover a lot of skeletons of Parisians, which were stacked & arranged very neatly.

A genuine labyrinth in the heart of underground Paris, Catacombs were fitted out in the galleries of former quarries. Twenty meters underground ossuary houses remains of approximately six millions Parisians, gradually transferred between the end of 18th century and the mid 19th century, as the capital cemeteries were closed for health reasons. Along a tangle of dark galleries discover a presentation of death with bones arranged in a romantic macabre decor.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb