Madrid/Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 24th 2008
Published: August 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour from Paris!

Yesterday & today (written 22/08) were transition days & as we had chosen to travel by train we didn’t travel until 7pm arriving the following day @ 8.30am. Our rail-pass purchased @ home allowed us discounts on train travel & not 6 days travel as we thought. When buying the ticket from Madrid-Paris we were informed that we still owed 75E each & here’s where I had to remind myself with my latest favourite quote “expect nothing and be ready for anything”.

So our last day in Madrid was spent wandering the streets. N had suggested I didn’t leave Spain without sampling the jamon (ham). We ate a "jamon sadwich" @ a local joint that was a cross between subway & a Michel’s patisserie that also sold beer, eat in or takeaway. Wandering again we found what was my fav store a local designer with edgy clothing, so Spanish in looks and as I walked out the store I’d bought the Australian import rights & sold off the Master Franchise’s in all states…will my business brain turn off at all on this trip I wonder?

Now ready for a café we hit a local café/bar/restaurant where I had another “sadwich” (this was a spelling mistake we saw somewhere in Madrid so I guess sandwiches will never be the same again to us- just one of those quirky little things that happen on holidays). So I had (as described by a Spanish waiter with an American accent when he spoke English) roasted bread (toast) with tomatoes (pureed fresh tomato that comes out of a jar) with jamon (Spanish ham). It tasted delicious as did the cappuccino. With a satisfied stomach off we went again wandering through another park back to Gran Via & into a few more stores as R was in shopping mode and needed another fix. I was happy to sit and ppl watch listening to my ipod. Now with the heat of the day upon us we escaped back to the reception of the hotel until it was time to leave for Chamartin train station. I felt it was wasting time while at the same time had no inclination to do anything else - all part of winding down - letting go - relaxing - going with the flow…

When looking at the train tickets there didn’t‘t seems anything suggesting numerical order for seat numbers together. We boarded the train and sat where we were told to go by one of the staff. Now when we bought the tickets…yes our luggage would be with us and would fit in the compartment and yes this would have been true if we were midgets on a weekend jaunt to Paris with and overnight bag, however, we were 2 girls away for 51/2 weeks that had flown half way round the world! Hmm that space thing again…it’s a premium over here! We were soon joined by a pommie girl finishing a 3 day getaway from London and another lady from Madrid visiting Paris for a few weeks. She started going off about our luggage (in Spanish) we just said yeh we know…not enough room, sorry. I consoled her by heaving her (heavy) bags up to a tight space above our heads where our pillows were housed until it was bedtime.

All settled…well seated with my bag between us we were off. The outskirts of Madrid appeared dry with lots of rock formations as was confirmed from the air when we had flown in. We went investigating to see if there were any other compartments available and yes there were but before we returned from the other end of the train the staff had locked them, apparently we weren’t the 1st ppl to have the idea of moving!

We headed for the dining car and bar and had (another) jamon sadwich which was on a baguette with cheese that was warmed through. A nice glass of vino Blanco which turned into a half bottle as the barman advised it was all mine as they didn’t do by the glass (even tho the menu suggested it!) This was still only slightly dearer than R’s coffee!

Back to our seats/sleeper and not long and Mr Cranky Arse came to put our bunks down. He wasn’t happy as we were off exploring when he had come to collect our tickets and passports…broke the unwritten rule apparently! We asked if we could move and he said “All full” we said we’d seen some empty, he said “you can’t have them for free” we explained we didn’t expect them to be free so he said “another 200E” I explained that I knew that they weren’t that price but apparently they were when Mr Cranky Arse says they are . So…as another lady was boarding during the night one of us had to move as he was pointing to one of our tickets almost shouting that this is where one of you should be and you shouldn’t be here. We (stupidly) tried to explain that we were travelling together from OZ, etc. As he had a care factor of -10 R left for the other seat/sleeper as it was easier to move her case as the trains were built way before my suitcase was invented and the passageways didn’t accommodate my bag so it had to be dragged sideways instead of wheeled the normal way behind or in front of me.

I slept pretty well with my ipod in listening to Eat, Pray, Love when I surfaced throughout the night or when the other girl joined us as it drowned out the noise. There was a time also when I was woken by a stench that may me a little confused where I was…that occasional familiar Spanish sewage smell on the streets of Madrid…nope just Spanish mama letting one rip - god she out did most men I know !

This morning we arrived in gay Paris…ok not looking all that gay (it’s raining) but we were excited as we are in Paris!! Caught a cab to out hotel after another hilarious episode of trying to convey something in English to a local! Our first look at a Frenchman…hmmm a silver fox - gorgeous - what a waste for a cab driver - well not for us really as he was a feast for our senses! Made it to hotel and the receptionist is a dead ringer for the short guy out of little Britain. I’d swear he’s his character “Davyd” and yes he’s gay! He had on a pale blue shirt and a paste tie and beige cardi just done up by two buttons in the middle, tres French no? R even commented (genuinely) to him that she liked what he was wearing! I barely held it together as it was such a crack up!

"Davyd" informed us our room wasn’t ready we were early (9am) and it wouldn’t be ready till 1.30pm. Nps we said and went in search of brekkie. Just next store there was a café so in we went. Cappuccinos were a hassle so the waiter suggested tea, ok, we said and then said no it’s ok we’ll just have a coffee instead. Due to the lack of our French we had a short black followed by peppermint tea! Now wouldn’t normally suggest that but so worth it for the entertainment value!!! We had coffee/tea with the local staple of croissants…yum!

With brekkie done back to our hotel to collect our washing and find a Laundromat we gathered it was raining and wouldn’t be trudging round in it. We asked Davyd if we could access our bags and very excitedly he said he just check but what sure our room was now ready…fabulous what a compliment can do! It was so up we went…not only that we had been upgraded and brekkie was now included for us…Gotta love Davyd! With the laundry out of the way it was siesta time (we have settled in to European living!) 3 hrs later up showered and out for Friday night drinks. We headed for a local bar had some champagne, cocktail and fromagerie (cheese plate) and ppl watched…fabulous. We then staggered down to the Bastille district to check it out and the place was pretty lively, tiny cobblestone streets and all sorts of eateries, bars, ppl and stores. Walked home again and popped in to a local store for water and chocolate…love it here always greeted with Bonjour and farewelled with Au Revoir! The accent I could listen to all day it’s so…so…something…ooo la la!!!

Au revoir
xo


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb