France: First Couple of Days


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 19th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey Everyone,

Arrived in Paris at 2 pm and found our train no problem (thanks to Ewa). While buying train tickets an older fella looked us up and down, not too sure whether he thought we were hot or going to be completely lost in Paris. Must have been the latter because the next thing we knew he was giving us two free metro passes that had two days of free transit. The race was on! How many sites could we see in two days (Ewa was already strategizing on how many more sites we could squeeze into the already packed schedule). A Polish woman leaves nothing to waste.

Without too much difficulty in finding our hostel we got our second wind, hit the streets and found our love for the metro. First thing on our minds was the famous Eiffel Tower, and so we were off. We ran into a speed-bump (some larger than life buildings blocked our view and we lost sight of our destination). Fortunately we were not the only ones on route to the Eiffel Tower that day, so by following the crowds of people and the millions of Eiffel Tower trinkets, we were there in no time.

After the Eiffel we discovered the scandelous district of Moulin Rouge and enjoyed the amazing view of Paris and live music at the Sacre Coeur.

We were in bed and fast asleep by 10:30pm, only to wake up at 2:30am -too excited to sleep. So Ewa scheduled in a shower seeing as how we were already awake and it would save time in the morning.

Tuesday morning finally came and we hit the metro with vengence (today the metro was free, and tomorrow it would not be so). We ended up seeing practically everything: churches (Sainte Eustache, Saint Chapelle, Notre Dame Basilica- where we even stayed for mass), monuments (Place Vendome, Pantheon, Statue of Liberty), the stock exchange of France (Bourse de Commerce), and ending with a few not to be missed sites (Place de L'Opera, Chanel, Cartier, Dior, Gucci, and Rolex).

The weather here is not to be missed. Let's just say, the number of times we changed from jacket to no jacket, from sunglasses to no sunglasses, holding onto each other for dear life from the wind storms, and to top it all off -every few hours loittering in the enterance
Eiffel TowerEiffel TowerEiffel Tower

So happy to be here!
way of stores to avoid the down pour of rain was overall ridiculous! We have a new appreciation for the French and why they always carry around a sweater and an umbrella.

Lastly, we would like to comment on the people here. To make it short here are some quotes that come to mind from our short stay in Paris
1. Jill - "Can you recommend a good place to eat?" Museum information employee replies "no."
2. (on the metro, in French and sitting right across from us) "all Canadiens dress, talk, act and look exactly the same." -Thoughts on this- why would they assume we don't understand French? or do they even care? How Rude!

To keep everyone in the loop, the next two days are to be filled with The Louvre and Varsailles, and Friday we are off to Portugal!

Love you all and we promise to write again soon.

Sept 27, Thought we would take a minute and go back and add a few photos



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Moulin Rouge Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge

Very scandalous district. We were both shocked and scandalized.
Basilique du Sacré-CœurBasilique du Sacré-Cœur
Basilique du Sacré-Cœur

Roman Catholic basilica located at the summit of the butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city.
Basilique du Sacré-CœurBasilique du Sacré-Cœur
Basilique du Sacré-Cœur

An amazing view of Paris.
Bourse de CommerceBourse de Commerce
Bourse de Commerce

The Paris stock exchange.
Seine RiverSeine River
Seine River

Very busy.
Public WashroomsPublic Washrooms
Public Washrooms

You have know idea how far we walked to find a public washroom that was 'gratuit' (free).
Random restaurantRandom restaurant
Random restaurant

Surprisingly busy.
Assemblée NationaleAssemblée Nationale
Assemblée Nationale

Seats the French Parliament, and was designed by Giardini and Gabriel in 1728.


20th August 2008

Definitely life in the 'FAST' lane!
Fun to hear how much you two are "off and running"! As to the people, well from the time I was 'over there' back in 1972, the Belgian French folks were down right offended as us foreign Canadians, no matter how polite we tried to be. Keep safe and duck when things 'are falling or coming hard on your way'!
23rd August 2008

Hahaha...'HOW RUDE'
I had a good laugh at the museum employee... they obviously weren't too interested in helping out two young, beautiful Canadian gals such as yourselves.
9th October 2008

Ah American Dream....
I ate there this past March.....interesting American food.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb