Eiffel Tower - Kathy Conquers the TOP!!!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 28th 2008
Published: July 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Eiffel Towre at Night 22 secs
Okay - Kathy's biggest challenge, and the one Robert most wanted her to take, was to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower. As you all may know by now, Kathy does not like heights, especially from a steep angle and the Tower is nothing if not steep. Since we could not go into the Musee D'Orsay today because it was closed, Robert and I hiked to the Tower (a long way since one of the metro lines was closed). It was always a given that Kathy would go up to the second level and she had about 45 minutes in line to ponder that step while standing in line directly under the Tower. Kathy even made friends with a young girl in line who was not sure if she would go all the way up to the top either. We finally arrived at the front of the line and took the elevator (which very much resembled the dreaded funicular) to the second floor. Although Kathy knew how high up she was, she was a little relieved to find she was on solid ground, i.e., no grates, although she did have to hang on to a wall at all times. Robert got in line to go up to the very top, which Kathy could not do because the line was near the railing. As Robert went through the line, he "kindly" tried to talk Kathy into going up with him. Finally, as he reached the front of the line, Kathy pulled trig and got in line with him, making Robert promise she would not have to get out of the elevator. Well, the glass elevator arrived and we got on with the other lemmings. As the elevator ascended, Kathy opened her eyes and immediately started to curse Robert and made him swear they would not get out and come right down. Well, as one gets to the top, darkness comes, which indicates you are somewhat enclosed. Kathy and Robert actually got out of the elevator and Kathy was happy to find out that the area is pretty enclosed, and that she only had to look out, not down. Of course, she immediately got in the line to go down again, but while waiting, Robert pointed out a few sights to Kathy that she could see, if only briefly before grabbing onto the wall. We finally went down all the way. Kathy ran into her young friend who also took the plunge and air high fives were exchanged.

It was a huge accomplishment!!! To celebrate, we walked miles to get to the Metro to go to Montmartre, ride yet another funicular, and enjoy dinner amongst the artists. We then walked miles to get to the Metro to get home. All in all, another great day in Paris!

Bon Nuit!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



30th July 2008

Great Pictures
I love your Paris pictures. It really makes me sad I'm no longer there. Enjoy your last days in Paris!
31st July 2008

Eiffel Tower
Love, love, love the video. It makes me feel like I was there too!

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb