I love Paris!!!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 3rd 2007
Published: May 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Montmartré in the city centre of Paris on Tuesday morning and immediately set out to wander about. Montmartré is full of cafés, bars and touristy souvenir shops. We just wandered in and out of the shops regretably not coming out with any of the cute handbags or shoes. We made our way up to the Sacre Couer church at the top of the hill and took in an a beautiful view of the city. We went in the church as well and it was really pretty, the stained glass windows were pretty. That evening we just took it easy and went down to a little café/pub on the corner and had sat outside with a glass of wine taking in the warm evening.

Wednesday morning we got up early and purchased a 2 day bus tour of Paris. Our first stop was at Notré-Dame Cathedral. It wasn't how I had pictured it but it was still amazing to look at. We went in and there was a prayer going on but it was in French so of course we couldn't understand it. The detail in the architecture was unbelievable. We left Notré-Dame and headed for the Eiffel Tower. We stood in line for an hour just to get tickets and get in and were kind of disappointed because we were told that the top floor was closed. We went up to the second floor and the view was breathtaking. I didn't realise how big Paris was until I got up there. Then we heard that they re-opened the top floor so we headed up. I though the view from the second floor was good, the view from the top at 925 feet was even better (of course). We took loads of pictures and headed down. The Eiffel Tower had taken just over 3 hours to do so it was late and we headed home and went back and sat at the café for wine again (you just can't beat the wine here).

Thursday morning we hopped back on the tour bus and our first stop was The Louvré. As we started to walk around I was amazed at how big it was, I didn't realise it. Some of the artwork and the sculptures were fantastic. Some of the paintings were so lifelike it was scary. We saw the Mona Lisa of course and I thought that was really cool, she definately is mysterious looking. We searched and searched for the painting of The Last Supper and when we had no luck finding it we asked and were told that it is not actually in the Louvré it is in Milan. We were kind of disappointed because I really wanted to see that painting; but we did get to see Madonna on the Rocks which was really cool too.
Our next stop was on the Champs-Elyseés near the Arc de Triomph. There are so many designer stores on that street (Cartier, Louis Vuitton, Armani to name a few) and although we only window shopped it was pretty cool to see them.

We caught the last bus back to Montmartré and spent that evening once more sipping wine at our favorite café and taking in the warm evening. We were sad that it was our last evening in Paris as we were just settling in and felt like there was so much more to see. I really would like to go back to Paris one day and spend a few more days there. It's definately a city where you need more than 2 full days. I guess it's time to start saving my pennies again as my mum would say.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb