Be blind-Dining "dans le noir?"


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 10th 2018
Published: May 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Dans le noir?Dans le noir?Dans le noir?

the restaurant in the alley
Sitting in a chair, reaching out your hand to search the napkin, the cup and the dinner set on the table. With the darkness surrounding you, constantly being cautious about not to spill your drink. This is how a blind man dines every day, and how we enjoyed our dinner “Dans le noir?”.



In front of the plaza of Pompidou Centre, follow the Venise road into an alley, you will notice a restaurant with a few tables and chairs outside. The glass windows with red wooden frames stick out at night. Get ready to take on a special experience of a literally blind tasting.



The concept evolved from the19th century. An association for blind people helped their families and friends to understand their visual disadvantages. When you are temporarily blind, your other senses like hearing, touch, taste, and smell will awake so that you might realize your vision could mislead you. To offer the public this extraordinary dining experience, the first “in the dark” restaurant is founded in 1999 in Paris. It uses blind waiters serving in the darkroom. Now, there’re 9 restaurants worldwide.



Some photos with celebrities who
alleyalleyalley

the alley
visited here hang on a red wall near the entrance. A bar with a liquor shelf behind is at the end. Few lockers on its right, with some more downstairs. The staircase is near the entrance. Three waiters were greeting the guests, asking about their allergies. One blind waiter is guiding them into the darkroom.



The famous surprise menus, which are prepared by local chefs with fresh ingredients, allow you to rediscover the original flavor of the food. The price varies from 45€ to 95€ per person. My menu includes three courses plus two surprise drinks without alcohol for 59€. Before stepping in, you are obligated to lock all your belongings outside. The toilettes locate downstairs. Go before you step into the darkroom. Then, you’re ready!



The guests are lining up at the doorway, with one hand on the shoulder of the person in front of you. A blind waiter slowly leads them into the darkroom by the hand. Once you pass the curtain, it’s dark instantly. A few turns ahead, the waiter guides the guests to feel the chair one by one. “The napkin is in front of you. You can
celebrity wallcelebrity wallcelebrity wall

the red wall near the entrance
find a fork on the left and a knife on the right. The cup is a bit far ahead.” Said our waiter Yemen.



Every time when they serve, they will shout out first, then hold your hand before handing you the plate. “Eating without seeing is harder than we thought.” Said by one guest. Sometimes you’ll end up with an empty fork. Sometimes you’ll spill out the food. Someone’s even dining with their hands. But when you’re blind about the food you’re tasting, you can try to identify each ingredient, and the dining atmosphere will be delightful.



After finishing the dinner, Yemen guided us out of the darkroom. The waiters will present you the menu at the bar and you’ll find out what you dined: salmon gravlax with red berries for starter, roasted duck filet, foie gras and apricot chutney sauce for entry, and shortbread with fleur de sel for dessert. There’re also free postcards you can mail all around the world, for free!



Eating with food on your face. Pouring the water with one finger in the cup. If you plan to visit Paris, if you like
lining uplining uplining up

stepping into the dark room
this kind of experience, then book one day ahead and dine “Dans le noir?”



Dans le noir?

51, rue Quincampoix, 75004, Paris FRANCE

0033-142779804 phone and fax

www.danslenoir.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

postcardpostcard
postcard

mail the postcard for free


1st June 2018

Dans le noir?
Sounds bizarre (that was a rhyme?). I think you have convinced me!
11th June 2018

If you come to Paris, maybe try it next time.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb