Under the Bridge


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Champagne-Ardenne » Chaumont
June 12th 2022
Published: July 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

It is a little strange being back in Europe and blogging my travels, but whilst covid remains a risk the reality is that some destinations are still not yet feasible for travel.

This morning we caught Le Shuttle from Folkestone so perhaps this entry should have been titled "under the channel". But at least we have made it to France without any problems a pleasant change from the past couple of weeks after I tested positive to Covid just after the Queen’s Jubilee long weekend. We decided to isolate instead of visiting friends in the south of England and it has worked out well, spending a few days on the south coast seeing places neither of us really knew and discovering that HG Wells had lived in Folkestone. Remarkably J never tested positive so perhaps she has some super-immunity.

For the tunnel my main concern was the detail of Vaccination checks that might be required and whether the Australian certificate would cause issues. In the end I shouldn’t have worried as the check involved no more than a question if we were fully vaccinated.

Once we reached Calais we made good time on the Autoroute and decided to spend the night in the town of Chaumont, comfortably more than half-way to Annecy our destination for the next 2 weeks.

Chaumont is not a particularly remarkable town but is known in railway circles for its viaduct, build in less than a year in 1855 and considered one of the most remarkable bridges anywhere in the world build in the latter part of the 19th Century.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb