Our day travelling around the Loire valley


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Vendome
May 4th 2011
Published: June 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today Phillipe had offered to take us for a drive and show as a few things. The first thing we went to was an old barn. It was getting rebuilt by some volunteer men. There were about 7 men and they came once a week and worked half a day. They had been working on this for about two and a half years and said it would take another two or three years to complete. While we were there the men were working on the walls. One man stopped to talk to us and tell us about the building. One thing he told us was that for the roof the had used hardly any nails, they just made the wood the right size so it fitted well between the other bits of wood. Once they have finished the barn they plan to open it up to the public.

The next thing we went to see was some caves that people lived in. Unfortunately they weren't open until two so we moved onto the next thing and planned to come back after that. On the way back to the car we decided to stop for a coffee but all the places were shut so instead we went to find somewhere to have lunch. Phillipe took us to a really nice place right next to the river. After lunch we went back to the caves. This time they were open. I thought there would be heaps of caves to look in but there was only one. The house was really big considering houses were quite small in the olden days. There were heaps of windows in the cave so the cave was really light.

After the caves we went to a different cave where they grew mushrooms. It was kind of like a little tour that the man took us on. There was about 10 of us. The man realised we didn't speak French and spoke a little bit in English at some parts we went to. The tour was really long, it went for about 2 hours so I lost interest in it cause it was so long, it was mostly in French and I wasn't really interested about mushrooms.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb