Day in lovely medieval city of Loches.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Loches
September 2nd 2012
Published: September 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This is a lovely campsite, very green, very peaceful and our quite privately located pitch has a view to the spires and towers of the medieval city as well as one step away access to the sanitaires. Add in a pool and electricity and the wifi mast just 5 metres away and all for £13.33 a night.

Today is the first day we have not been driving anywhere so we got up gently, collected fresh baguette and croissant from reception, showered and then strolled along the river into town. Weather exactly as forecast, cloudy but no rain but 22° so quite pleasant for a walk round the city even if not for getting a tan. I am still waiting for my “summer of 2012” suntan, I still have my hopes for later in the week, but until then, suntops will stay in the cupboard.

Had a lovely walk round the city though we didn’t go into the ‘Royal Chateau’ as we did that on our last visit. I had thought it might be busy, being such a popular tourist spot and a Sunday but it is of course now officially the end of season, the French August holiday is over and most of the September ‘spending the kid’s inheritance’ travellers like us have not got here yet.

We walked up the hill to the medieval part of the city and found a treasure of a museum, an art gallery, once home of artist Lansyer and full of his paintings. Beautifully displayed together with his artistic artefacts and furnishings. We were lucky to have gone straight there as, as we left, the door was locked behind us. Lunch time.

We decided it was also our lunch time so back down the medieval streets to the more modern part of the city at the bottom of the hill where we had lovely galettes sitting outside a busy restaurant and watching the world go by.

After a leisurely stroll round the streets of the city we completed lunch with an icecream before walking back to the campsite. An economical day out really as the shops were all shut, being a Sunday.

Once again I braved the chill of the pool, which may or may not have been heated but if it was it was not obvious, and did 20 lengths as I am determined to get all aches and pains sorted by the end of this trip. Note to self : back to exercise regime of 30 minutes per day on the WII starting the day we get home. No excuses.

Tomorrow we move to Coulon in the Venise Verte. Funnily enough, when I checked our 2011 travel blog for September I see that we went to Coulon on exactly the same date, 3rd September, last year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Saint-Ours ancient church.Saint-Ours ancient church.
Saint-Ours ancient church.

An odd aspect but at least I got it all in


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb