Day 5 - Bus Tour - Tours - Bourges - Lyon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Bourges
September 22nd 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today's journey takes us through the very centre of France. First we stop in Bourges, to see the Palais Jacques Coeur, the Cathedral of St. Stephen and the delightful Archbishop's gardens. Then into the very centre of the 'hexagon', as the French often call their homeland, to stop at the village of St. Amand Montrond. We continue via the volcanic hills around Clermont Ferrand and on to Lyon - a gourmet's paradise on the rivers Rhone and Saône. A walking tour of the old city - a UNESCO World Heritage site, reveals the city's rich and cultural past. It is the largest Renaissance district in France with its narrow streets, inner courtyards and "traboules". We will also drive up the Fourvière hill to admire awe-inspiring views over the city. Then on to our hotel for dinner and overnight.

Another early day. On through the middle of France. My French is getting better and I am sayign a little less si and a little more oui.... haha. Brian and Bailey are both quick to correct me. But my bad French Spanish and sign language is working for us.

We went into another church. It was very different from the rest.
Bishops Garden 1Bishops Garden 1Bishops Garden 1

This was in the small village of St. Amand Montrond in the heart of France.
It took over 400 years to build. It was quite gothic in design. We stopped at the pastrie shop and had some bread, and pastries for lunch. It is good to be in France.

The ride continued on to Lyon. This is a very old city on two rivers the Rhone and the Soulnne. There is a very old part of the city and even the newer buildings have kept to the older designs. We saw a huge golden statue of the Virgin Mary and the church that was built in her honor.

We had a walk through the old city. Because there was so little space, the constructed only walking streets going east west and to go north south you walk through peoples courtyards or house entrances. It is very strange but also very efficient. These appartments are older then most of Canada. It was quite amazing. We had a lovely dinner here.

Later some of us girls went of a 1.5 hour walk along the river at night and had a great sleep. Must go to bed because we have another early day tomrrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Virgin Mary Statue In LyonVirgin Mary Statue In Lyon
Virgin Mary Statue In Lyon

The statue was taken down as the church was being repaired. So this is a close up of the statue in a protective case.
Old Town LyonOld Town Lyon
Old Town Lyon

In the old town, they didn't have any roads so you had access from one cross street to another through peoples courtyards. It was very cool.
Lyon CourtyardLyon Courtyard
Lyon Courtyard

Here is one of the courtyards that we walked through to access the parallel street.


Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb