Loire Valley


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Blois
August 22nd 1970
Published: February 17th 2022
Edit Blog Post

From Milan, we flew to Paris where we met another coach and a new local guide. Without missing a beat, or a stop in Paris, the group set out for the Loire Valley and its famous château country. It was a Friday afternoon and everyone was rushing to leave Paris for the weekend. Valene appeared to be getting along well with the local guide and complimented her on her chic attire. However, there evidently had been some sort of falling out overnight. By morning, the local guide had split, and was on her way back to Paris. Valene took over courier's seat and microphone.

From our base in Tours, we were able to visit four château: Amboise (16th century), Chambord (1547), Chenonceaux (1522), and Azay-le-Rideau (1527). I returned to Chambord and Chenonceaux in 2015. Wonderful as they all are, Azay-le-Rideau, sitting majestically in the middle of the Indre River, remains in my memory as the most beautiful and magical.

En route back to Paris, we made stops at Orléans and at Chartres to visit the Cathedral. Paris sightseeing included the Louvre and Notre Dame and then lunch aboard a Bateaux Mouche on the Seine. I was able to find a few vintage Baedeker travel guides at a Seine bookstall. A night in Paris brought an evening outing to the Folies Bergère. To bring our grand tour to a conclusion, we flew Luxair from Le Bourget back to Luxembourg and then boarded Loftledir for New York.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

La Pucelle d'OrléansLa Pucelle d'Orléans
La Pucelle d'Orléans

Statue of Joan of Arc in Place du Martroi, Orléans. Bronze by Denis Foyatier, 1855. IMG00333


17th February 2022
Château de Chambord

Chateau
Beautiful architecture.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb