Two days of Vineyards and early morning wine


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy
August 11th 2008
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
The next two days where spent riding bikes and tasting wine. We rode through vineyards, then a little town, then more vineyards, and then another little town. We tasted wine at 10:30 am, which made all the wine taste like bannanas and toothpaste, at Nicole and Piere's wine cave. They were really good about teaching us about the whole process of wine making. They don't even think of selling their wine untill it has aged at least 7 years, which is a huge commitment and it has paid off. I liked their wine the best. They made the tasting fun and educational and i think i learned the most about all this wine making from them.
French wine is named by where is was grown not what kind of grape it is. There are 4 "Appellations" or classifications for Burgundy wine:
1st is Regioin wine-grapes taken from vineyards all through out Burgundy.
2nd is Village wine-grapes taken from vineyards just around a village
3rd is Premier Cru-grapes taken usually from one vineyard that is the best of the village
4th is Grand Cru-grapes taken from the best of the best vineyard.

Usually the Grand Cru is the best wine possible but it always depends on your taste buds. My favorite was a Village wine but I also like PBR!

The 2nd and 3rd nights we stayed in the Chateau Andre Ziltener where this guy used to take is mistresses. Started off with a tasting, of the wine of course, and ate at Chateau de Gilly, where Monks used to make wine and cheese, and at duck and other fancy things.

The second day we rode straight uphill for an hour and then across the top of the hill and back into Gevrey-Chambertin and tased wine at Matthieu's favorite winery and ate lunch. After our 25k ride for the day we choose to do the extra 35k ride to the Abbey where Monks still make stinky cheese and then we rode back to the Hotel and napped pretty hard before eating snails for dinner.




Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 101; dbt: 0.1318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb