Beaune, Nolay, Dijon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy
May 8th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

BEAUTIFUL PART OF FRANCE

(Leroy)
Thanks to the lovely Jan McCallum Johnston for offering us her cottage in Nolay very early on in our trip planning, Katey and I ventured to the Cote d'Or region of France, which in essence is the Burgandy region. Rumour had it that they made a bottle or two of wine there.

After a 5 hour drive north from the Pyrenees to Nolay we were keen to stretch our legs, so we opted for a stroll through town. We soon realised that Jan was very correct in telling us it was a pretty little village. Our stroll lasted 10 minutes and we ended up in the only place open on Sunday arvo - the bar. We manged to get some pizzas and wander home to the wine that Anne had packed us.

Next day we were of to Beaune to have a look see. Only really had one idea for the day - tasting some Burgandy wines and produce. We managed to find ourselves in a wine cellar that was a 5km underground labryinth of wine maturing. Saw (not sampled) a 560 euro bottle of red which is a little out of our
NolayNolayNolay

The Massive Mobile parked opposite Jan's place (sweet black and white cottage on the left)
price range.

Lucky for me Katey was driving so I was keen to try all 16 wines as we strolled through the maze of bottles. Some wine dated back to 1914 and the whole set up was really impressive. So we did the good tourist thing and bought some goodies.

With the day only half over we ventured up to Dijon to visit the mustard museum. After visting Milawa mustard store in Victoria I thought it would be cool to see the legit Dijon mustard is from and get a bit historical. But to our shock the Dijon mustard Museum were it all begun has shut for good. So we went strolling and found the "Australian Bar" instead, but when we got to the door it was closed for good as well. So for a change we found a bar near by and made a pretty bad decision. I tried a Fosters. It definitely lives up to the reputation as a really shit beer.

And so we cruised back to Nolay along the Cote d'Or region's famous road where it is vineyard central for a decent nights sleep and begin the trek to Paris...,.


BeauneBeauneBeaune

Patriache Winery





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

BeauneBeaune
Beaune

Patriache Barrells
Patriarche SpecialPatriarche Special
Patriarche Special

Hmm...slightly out of the price range...
Highway to the dangerzoneHighway to the dangerzone
Highway to the dangerzone

Fosters special....ERGH!


Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb