Tour du Vin


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Dijon
May 23rd 2011
Published: May 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

i hope this posts, the free internet i'm using is sketchy...

unsurprisingly, the burgandy wine tour today was the highlight of my stay in dijon. As I mentioned in my previous post, chardonnay and pino noir are the only two types of grapes harvest in this region; they also happen to be my favourites.

The tour guide was very informative regarding the region's soil conditions and how to identify quality bottles of wine. after writing this I should probably go write down notes, i'm afraid after several glasses of burgeone (burgandy) wine, i may forget all i've learned. basically, over the past 2000 years of wine making in this region, they have everything down to a science. the qualtiy of wine may change over a couple of meters because of factors such as soil quality, amount of sun, the age of the vine, etc. A higher quality of wine can be identified easily because the title contains the name of the vinyard, as opposed to the name of the region it was grown.

On the tour, we visited a monastary that has made wine for over 700 years. I sampled two chadonnays and three pino noirs, all delicious... of course that may also be because the cheapest bottle cost 15€ (about $22 canadian), as someone accustomed to $10 bottles, this was a huge jump in quality.

My time in dijon was nice and relaxing, but for anyone travelling to the region in the future, 1-2 days should be plenty.

Tomorrow morning I leave for Nice, on the French Riveria. Today was a sunny 25° - I hope the weather holds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



24th May 2011

ruined
good luck going back to those $10 bottles of wine! ruined for life. ;D
26th May 2011

re ruined
agreed! I bought a bottle the other night for 4 euros and it tasted like paint thinner!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb