Tres Beaune


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Beaune
May 24th 2010
Published: May 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

BeauneBeauneBeaune

Mum and Dad wearing their jackets "French style"
Beaune is a stone’s throw from Dijon and is also renowned for its mustard, but also for its wine. We began with a bit of a tour around the city which, like Sarlat, is a maze of winding little streets surrounded by a crystal clear stream.

Under the former ramparts of Beaune are kilometers of underground tunnels which are now used to store wine. We visited the Patriarche Pere et Fils cellars which are the largest in Beaune. I can’t remember how many kilometers of cellars they have, however they store 6 million bottles of wine there so I’m presuming they’re quite long! This has got to be one of the best cellars to visit ever because they give you a complimentary “tastevin” (flat silvery cup to taste wine out of) and let you go on your own merry way. We walked by the large barrels and ridiculously old church which was there prior to the winery, and then went down into the cellars. You’re left there to run free so of course Dad went ballistic and went into all the parts where you weren’t allowed.

After about 15 - 20 minutes you reach a more open part of
BeauneBeauneBeaune

Dad making mustard
the cellar where there are bottles of wine placed on top of barrels to taste. You’re free to go around and just help yourself. Brilliant! Dad once again took advantage of the situation Wezza style and regularly topped up his cup from the same bottle. They have little baskets there so if you like a bottle you just take it off the rack and keep walking.
While in Beaune we also went to Moutarderie Fallot, one of the last mustard factories still operating in the region. We got to make our own mustard and Dad’s just tasted of pure salt. I coughed for about 5 minutes after tasting it. You then get to taste several of their mustard varieties including berry, gingerbread, Tarragon and just the average run of the mill mustard. It was quite fun.

Oh, I forgot to mention that our apartment is massive here (much like our now engorged stomachs). It’s double story with three bedrooms. It’s twice the size of my house!

PS: I've added some photos from Le Mont Dore that didn't upload while I was there.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

BeauneBeaune
Beaune

Dad's mustard. Mmmm, salty.
BeauneBeaune
Beaune

Patriarche winery
BeauneBeaune
Beaune

Patriarche winery
BeauneBeaune
Beaune

Running rampant in the cellars
BeauneBeaune
Beaune

Free range tasting in the cellars.
BeauneBeaune
Beaune

Our apartment in Beaune
BeauneBeaune
Beaune

Beaune stream
Le Mont DoreLe Mont Dore
Le Mont Dore

Yes, that's snow covering the road two weeks out from Summer!
Le Mont DoreLe Mont Dore
Le Mont Dore

View from my bedroom window
Le Mont DoreLe Mont Dore
Le Mont Dore

Dinner in Le Mont Dore
Le Mont DoreLe Mont Dore
Le Mont Dore

Dad "the bitch" carrying my luggage down four flights of stairs
Le Mont DoreLe Mont Dore
Le Mont Dore

Le Mont Dore
Le Mont DoreLe Mont Dore
Le Mont Dore

Mum and Dad in Le Mont Dore
Le Mont DoreLe Mont Dore
Le Mont Dore

The chef's tiny dog that roamed freely around the restaurant. V.cute.
Le Mont DoreLe Mont Dore
Le Mont Dore

Our hotel in Le Mont Dore


Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb