Northern Brittany


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany
September 18th 2010
Published: September 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

... apologies for extra delay, have had some technical difficulties....

It’s been a few days since our last instalment and we’ve been busy! Took a driving tour as set out in a travel book on Tuesday... learnt a lot about the author - he’s easily impressed! You call that a gorge?! Good practice for the driving and navigating skills nonetheless. Yesterday (Wednesday) was very wet so we put off our plans until the afternoon when we took a short drive to St Marcel to our south and the Museum of the Resistance in Brittany - it is located on the site of a battle that was undertaken to divert German attention from the D-Day landings. It’s amazing to think of what went on around in WWII. Apparently the local Resistance used the other house on property here as a meeting house.

Today (Thursday) we went north to St Malo (see pic 1) with its beautiful ramparts and beaches. We then went on the Dinard - the ‘Nice of the North’ - for lunch and found the beach where Hitchcock filmed some of the beach scenes for ‘The Bird’ (the seagulls were big and menacing!). We had a lovely lunch at Le Balneum -- St Jacques scallops, tarte tartin, crème brulee etc. On our way back to B&R’s we dropped by Dinan (see pic 2) which is full of typical Bretone half-timber houses.

We’ll spend the next couple of days close to ‘home’ as we prepare to leave our base here and head north for Normandy, the Somme and Flanders.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb