Locronan - The Tromenie


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany » Finistère
July 12th 2015
Published: July 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Locronan is rated the most beautiful villages of France, and it is very pretty indeed! The village's name means the "hermitage of Ronan", possibly after the eponymous founder Saint Ronan who came to the region to teach the people around the 6th century.

Since the 15th century, hemp has naturally grown in the area. It was cultivated and processed in a hemp industry in the town at the time, and it was widely used. The town was quite prosperous. but the village went quiet slowly once the industry withered. Eventually in the last few decades it attracted many film maker came to shoot their movie, the village itself also began to holding up some local handcrafts, together with the lovely surrounding, tiny Locronan now survive gracefully in tourism.

But the main attraction in Locronan is the 12km procession with the pilgrims - The Great Tromenie! Tromenie is a pilgrimage festival that includes a large procession, whose participants carry the banners of participating parishes. that only happen every 6 years. But in between every year there will be a dress-down version call the Petite Tromenie. the 6km parade of the small Tromenie

is held on the second Sunday in July. It is based in the town and church of Locronan. Leading by locals in traditional costume witha ll the important relics of St. Ronan, Banner and flags, cross and stutues. The procesion move on uphill, a ceremonial stops at Plas ar Horn, a chapel dedicated to Saint Ronan before heading back to Locronan. All the pilgrims will touch the shrine at the end as the veneration of Saint Ronan's relics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb