French Basque Country


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Urrugne
October 6th 2013
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.3706, -1.68509

Having been at the Camping Larrouletta for a day, we ventured out yesterday afternoon (Saturday) to investigate a potential bike ride for David to the Col d'Ibardin which is inland and a steady climb towards the Spanish border. We went beyond the Col to Mandale where there were numerous retail outlets, restaurants and a filling station, with the emphasis on booze, cigarettes, clothing, foodstuffs and perfumes. We came away intrigued as to what this strange place was all about at such high altitude with access via a tortuous road with many hairpin bends but today the site receptionist enlightened us to the fact that Spanish prices are considerably cheaper so the French take advantage of this and go to stock up. We bought nothing, but the scenery was stunning, giving us a fantastic view back to the Cote d'Argent.

This morning we waved off Hokan and Ann on their way from Sweden to spend their third winter as 'snowbirds' in Southern Spain. Over the last 24 hours, drinking wine and English tea, we have chatted at length on many subjects, exchanging information about our respective countries, which has been so interesting and fun that it was sad to say goodbye to yet more passing acquaintances. However, email addresses exchanged, we hope to keep in touch in case there might be an opportunity for our paths to cross.

More exploring this afternoon when we headed for the coast and parked up on La Corniche overlooking the Atlantic, with Hendaye to our left and Saint-Jean-de-Luz to our right, and took the footpath down to Socoa, an area of Urrugne. There is a small harbour, yacht club, ancient Tower of Bordagain, as well as several restaurants which were buzzing since it was a sunny, warm Sunday. We have eyed one up to try for lunch before we leave the area when some local fish would be good.

However, today it was lunch back at the 'van, a few chores (laundry and cleaning), followed by a swim in the covered pool.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb