Saint-Jean-de-Luz


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Urrugne
October 9th 2013
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.3699, -1.68616

Monday, we returned to Socoa for lunch at Chez Margot, one of the restaurants we had eyed up the previous day and which had good reviews. Not quite as busy as on the Sunday, the terrace tables were still buzzing with diners as we sat down under a sunshade with an idyllic view across the bay to Saint-Jean-de-Luz. Around us day-to-day life was carrying on as normal as we saw several batches of school children making their way in crocodile fashion down to the harbour and the beach for outdoor activities on and out of the sea.

Menu to hand, given the location it just had to be fish, so for 'him' it was a local white fish in a sauce with cockles, and for me Moules Marinere and frites, but for starter David chose a platter of tasty cured meats of which there was a generous portion, so I helped too, washed down with a bottle of local white wine. For dessert there was no question of studying the menu for we had spotted that my all-time favourite French dessert was included, so two portions of Iles Flotante it was. Not the best I have tasted, but a slightly different take on the classic pud with a concentration of caramel in the base of the dish and my first on this trip. Full to bursting, we didn't eat for the remainder of the day, but David worked some of his meal off with a run out on his bike.

Yesterday, with another fine, sunny day in prospect, yet a further load of laundry just in case the future weather is not so kind, then after lunch we ventured into nearby Saint-Jean-de-Luz for a browse. After parking, we walked around the little fishing port and onto the elevated promenade with the spotlessly clean beach on one side and quaint houses on the other - full of charm from a bygone age and quite unspoiled.

On reaching the end of the main promenade, we moved into the town to find the church of St. John the Baptist - a recommended 'must see' for its ornate, gilded altar backdrop and most unusually for the wooden balconies on three levels around three sides of the nave.

On leaving the church, we walked up and down the pedestrianised Rue Gambetta lined with shops, mainly aimed at the tourist selling local goods and foodstuffs, such as the characteristic Basque striped household linens, cured meats, chocolate and macaroons. We whiled away a good hour perusing and tasting, coming away with a number of purchases, and well within our ruling regarding souvenirs that as long as it can be eaten, drunk or used en-route then it is acceptable. We have no space or weight allowance for trinkets and fripperies!

We have enjoyed our few days in this quaint corner of France, but on Thursday we shall be moving further northwards to Limousin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb