Things are looking up! Arrive at St Jean Pied de Port


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
September 23rd 2014
Published: September 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up at 4.40am, caught the 5.25 to the airport, and made the flight to Biarritz. We then waited a little over an hour and our transport arrived to drive us to St Jean Pied de Port.

We arrived at SJPP at about 11.30 and made our way to the pilgrims office to register for the Camino. The office is staffed by very helpful volunteers who issue you with your passport and some instructions to help you through the early stages.

Sue and I the spent a couple of hours exploring SJPP as you cannot get into the hostels until 2.30pm. We chose Auberge du Peleran just down from the office and were shown to our room. We chose bottom bunks and met Connor and Bec, a young couple from Canberra. We are having our meal at the hostel tonight and will head off to bed early. The showers and other facilities at this hostel are first class. I will report on the walk and the meal tomorrow if I have the energy. It's funny to think that we will not travel in a car (hopefully) for the next 37 days and yet will cover 800 kilometres (500 miles). Was the Proclaimers 1980's hit about the Camino......and I will walk 500 miles........maybe it was.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



23rd September 2014
The ancient bridge at SJPP

bridges and beds
I'm a bridge hound, and the Camino has such picturesque ones. I must say your hostel is much more upscale than anything I stayed in in 2003. I think the great influx of pilgrims has resulted in lots more and lots better hostels--excellent!
23rd September 2014

How exciting!!!
I can feel your excitement as you have now reached the beginning of the walk of a life time! I look forward to reading about your journey, the friends you make, the times of self reflection, and the physical difficulties...and the weather as I would like to go at the same time in a couple of years.
24th September 2014

Buen Camino
How exciting. Your photos of St Jean Pied de Port are fantastic. The hostel looks nice. Buen Camino Sue and Steve.
24th September 2014

It's Boot Camp!
Oh how brave you are. It's like school camp for 37 days but with continuous hikes!! I wish you all the very best x
25th September 2014
The view again.

Best Wishes
How exciting..the adventure begins. Wishing you good walking. Looking forward to more stories and pictures.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb