Figeac on the Lot to Villereal on the edge of the Dordogne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Monflanquin
June 19th 2023
Published: June 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

A wet start as we had been kept awake for a while by thunder and lightening. There is a lot about at the moment across a lot of France and the UK but it is still very pleasantly warm.

We had taken the awning down and everything in, because of the rain, the night before so an easy departure with not much to do to get ready.

The drive was only 80 miles and across lovely countryside, a few hills and lots of straight roads and fields full of crops as far as the eye can see. I had glimpses of pretty Dordogne coloured buildings as we went along and started to see the sunflowers and nut trees the region is so famous for.

Our destination was Camping Le Chateau de Fonrives just outside Villeréal, a bastide town of which there are many in the Dordogne.

We arrived just as reception was reopening after lunch and it was all a little surprising. Normally there would be other motorhomes and caravans queueing to book in but there were none except us.

I asked the receptionist if she had a pitch and she looked, well, surprised and said she didn’t know she would get her colleague to speak to me. He was also surprised and it was all rather odd. He disappeared out the back for a good 5 minutes then came back muttering about mobile homes and travails but yes he could find us a pitch. I paid for 3 nights and wifi and we followed his little truck to the bottom of the campsite past lots of mobile homes but not a single campervan, motorhome, tent or caravan in sight.

There were 5 pitches. We chose the middle and that is where we stayed. Felt like that TV character the only Gay in Wales, we were the only campers in Camping Le Chateau de Fonrives 😊

There were 5 mobile homes behind our pitch and 3 were half finished, awaiting their staging which was laid out on the floor obviously ready to be fitted.The ground they were on was obviously newly reclaimed from tourer camping pitches. It seems that what had been a campsite with 80 touring pitches is in the process of turning into a holiday village, all mobile homes and no tourers. We found a few more pitches over the other side of the site where lots more mobile homes were being built and concluded they would be gone soon enough.

Certainly, by the speed the workmen were moving, it looks as if they are trying to get all the work done ready for the early July start to the summer season.

A shame it is no longer a campsite as it is beautifully located and the pool area is superb. We had woods in front of us and the bird song was fantastic. From dawn to dusk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



22nd June 2023

Wowwwww!
From the charming town of Figeac on the Lot River to the picturesque village of Villereal on the edge of the Dordogne, this blog takes you on a captivating journey through the scenic landscapes of southwestern France. With vivid descriptions and stunning photographs, the writer beautifully captures the essence of these enchanting destinations, showcasing their historical treasures, architectural marvels, and natural beauty. Whether you're a history buff, a nature lover, or simply seeking wanderlust inspiration, this blog is a delightful resource that transports you to the heart of these idyllic regions, leaving you yearning to explore every hidden corner and savor the flavors of local life. Prepare to be swept away by the magic of Figeac on the Lot and Villereal on the edge of the Dordogne.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb