Dordogne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Dordogne
December 22nd 2011
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Dordogne

Heading to the Dordogne was added late into the plans but very pleased we did. Once again the accommodation fell into place and we found a period house renovated in a town called Sarlat (silent T). This was not our first choice as we intended to try and stay in one of the smaller villages but as with so much when travelling, things happen for the right reason. The town itself appears small but extends on and on and is a true town with all the services and life expected within a medieval setting. Our house was only a 5-minute walk into town.

The long drive from Lyon provided its own adventure with us passing through a lot of France and discovering snow. This brought the kid out of all of us and a few snow balls later we were all wet, cold and happy. Many of the locals did have a sigh and chuckle at our expense but we are Australian and we don’t see a lot of the white stuff and this looks like it will be our only snow….european winters…

On the drive in through the town of Sarlat, after Bruce the tom-tom had showed us another few back roads and short cuts through the countryside, we noticed a Marche de Noel. This motivated us all to unpack quickly and head into the festivities. Here we discovered ice skating, yes a large rink outdoor in the middle of the market. This was all too tempting so the kids had their first European ice skate. Hamish had been before with school and thought he knew it all, as Hamish does, but within moments Zara and Bella were racing around the ice helping people up and looking like they had been doing this for ever (freaks). This is not to say they did not plant a few times on the ice and when they did it was good to see. Jo, aka Bambi, did wobble around a lot and those long legs do take some coordination. Oliver was content with the largest ferry floss I had ever seen and with wine (both hot and cold) for the adults we were all happy to enjoy the atmosphere for some time.

The les plus beux de village de France tour did continue over the next couple of days and we made it to some very unique medieval looking villages including …… These were all quiet and most of the stores, restaurants and cafes were shut but they still had a magic to them. I did enjoy these villages more than Provence as the quiet seemed to give them another appeal. Not sure if everything open would have enhanced or detracted from them. It would be hard to imagine how busy some of these villages must get during the high season. The amount of parking and other facilities around, it must be a nightmare at times.

Ian and I did head out for dinner in a little back alley restaurant in Sarlat. While the two of us have seen plenty of bar and cafes, this was our first full dining experience just for two. Although it was late we were greeted by this beautiful French woman and treated to some magnificent French cuisine. After a shared frois grois entre and mains of truffle ravioli and coq-ca-vin we stumbled back home well satisfied imagining a parallel universe where we did not have kids…….

Saturday in Sarlat is market day and they do it well. The stalls wind around the streets and the food on offer is spectacular. You really could do all your shopping from these markets and looking around many of the locals do. Knowing we had a long drive ahead we did not stay long and took off up the road towards Versailles.

The time exploring the French countryside has been another highlight of the trip. The areas vary so much and there is so much we did not see. Some of the distances were so close and others took forever. We have been to the mountains of the Pyrenees, the hills of Provence, the Mediterranean coast, through the centre of France and the medieval areas of the Dordogne and into Versailles and it just leaves me wanting more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



3rd January 2012

Hellooo Cannons!!
After losing your blog details in the black hole of my inbox I've just found your link and spent my first day back at work reading through all your wonderful posts. What an amazing time you've had so far. I've gasped at the stories of lost children; smiled through your travels of quaint French villages which I remember so well; salivated over descriptions of cheeses and various cured meats and absolutely cacked myself at Zara's post about "Eyebags"! I've loved hearing all your experiences on this fantastic adventure you're having. We had a lovely Christmas at Perisher and we're so happy Suzy could be with us. Lots of food/wine/puzzles/cards and a healthy dash of Bombay Sapphire. It was great to get your call on Christmas Day. Hoping we can all be together Christmas 2012 in Thredbo. Summer has finally arrived after a miserable wet December. Back at work this week but then off again for a couple of weeks on the beach. Will keep tuning into your blog. Enjoyed reading it so much. Lots of love to you all. Try not to lose anymore children!!! Love Katrina (and of course, Dave, Sam and Ella) xxx
3rd January 2012

Hi
Glad Xmas all went well. As you are getting warmer we are finally feeling the bite in the air. Have decided to stuff it all and stay in Paris for another week then into disney for 6 nights. All up we will be here for ve 3 weeks so really starting to feel at home. Now in a new apt aroung the crn from the louvre surrounded by every designer I have ever heard of and many I have not. Look forward to catching up soon Love to all Al

Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb