Our Winter Home in Dordogne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Dordogne
February 12th 2009
Published: February 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have spent several holidays in France, including twice before in the Dordogne area in the SW of France. The last time we rented an apartment here in Carlux from a couple originally from Toronto. They manage two other properties in Sarlat as well as their own. These can be seen at

www.yourfriendsinfrance.org

They spend the months of January and February in South Africa and we were presented with the wonderful opportunity to stay in their home during that time.

This is a large stone house set on hill among wonderful gardens, with beautiful landscaping and two pools of goldfish. There is a date 1782 carved in one of the stones but this may date from a renovation with the actual building being older than that. There is an outbuilding, a bake house, Le Fournil in French. Addresses in this area usually consist of the name of the house ("Le Fournil" in this case).

Despite its age, this home has undergone a careful and tasteful renovation which retains much of its original charm - shuttered windows, hardwood floors, a winding wooden staircase with a hand carved banister, exposed ceiling beams, stone inside walls, nooks and crannies, a huge fireplace now with a wood stove.

But this home is modern as well, with double-glazed windows and a kitchen with every appliance and utensil that you can imagine such as an induction stove top that is much faster and constant than any we have ever used. The bathrooms have hot water on demand systems and baths and showers stalls that you would expect to find only in the newest homes. With satellite TV and a library of books and WiFi we are not bored!

The area around is quite hilly with a mixture of older homes, new ones and farms. We are within a small village, Carlux, that has a butcher, baker, post office, variety store and bar/cafe/hotel. We are within 20 minutes of Souillac, a medium sized town with a supermarkets, stores, restaurants, weekly market and rail stop.

We continue to enjoy our winter in France.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



12th February 2009

Beatiful place
This is a beautiful place. What a wonderful experience for you to live in a small village and get to know the people of the area. We are really enjoying your blog. Keep them coming. Hey next year, if you don't want to house sit, we are available!
12th February 2009

the home and area looks like a story book! it sounds devine have a great visit yours walt
13th January 2011

le fournil rentals
Hello ; My husband and I are wanting to rent a place in dordogne region and would like to get in touch with the owners of le fournil as we want to stay there. We cannot seem to find their email address. Wondering if you have it ? Thank you Rea Flamer

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb