Day 10 - Grindelwald, Switzerland to Strasbourg, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Strasbourg
September 19th 2018
Published: September 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 10


After leaving picturesque Grindelwald and heading back to France we passed by Thunnet See, one of the huge lakes surrounding Interlaken. From there it was pretty much non-descript highways. The big difference we observed driving during this trip is the great condition of all the roads and bridges. Everything looks new and all are free from litter.

Our first stop today was Colmar, France. The old town of Colmar is called "Le Petite Venice". It was a gorgeous district crammed with camera ready buildings decked with flowers. The houses wander down the calm canal that wind through the area. We stopped for lunch at a small Brasserie which sold our favorite baquette sandwiches.

Leaving Colmar, we arrived at our destination, Strasbourg, mid afternoon, and checked into the hotel. The front desk said they were upgrading our rooms, and we were all thrilled at what we found. We were in the loft villa area in five star rooms. Not sure why we got them, but it was great.

We headed right out and purchased tickets for the Batorama, a narrative cruise on the canals that weaved through Strasbourg. The cruise, which was about an hour long gave a complete history of the city and explained all of the different architecture we were seeing, and the German influence on it. Strasbourg has much to offer, with its many museums, cathedral Notre Dame, the "les petite France" neighborhood, with its small twisting back streets, lined with half-timber houses adorned with their flower boxes. Of course, Diane and I had to venture into some of the shops to check out their goods.

Dinner was at a small local restaurant, recommended by the "petite jeune fille " at the front desk. We all ordered the Coq-au-vin and some local wine, then headed back to the hotel to ready ourselves for another big day tomorrow.

PS. If you are receiving these blogs, please send a quick comment so we can tell if everyone on our list is getting it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement










20th September 2018

Great pics. Thanks!
20th September 2018

Trip
This looks like the best trip yet. Really look forward every day to your blog.
20th September 2018

Nice pics!
Looks like an awesome trip! Love you guys!
20th September 2018

Getting your blogs
Yes we are and enjoying each and every one... Safe travels home M
20th September 2018
Strasbourg at night

Another WOW
Another couple of beautiful towns and days. And your accommodations were quite pretty. Waking for day 11. How can it get any better beautiful beautiful??
20th September 2018

Love the blog, enjoying reading it every day and the pictures are great.
20th September 2018

Great pics and dialog Keep it comming
20th September 2018

France ?? on steroids.
Looks like your traveling going well...hard to believe you’re already at Day 10...weather looks great. Love the loft space...keep pics coming, Q
21st September 2018

Look forward to your daily blogs. Pictures are stunning.
21st September 2018

Envious!
I am officially envious! Your blog is like watching one of Rick Steves( PBS) shows. France is such a beautiful country and the history is so interesting. Thank you again for taking the time to share all of this with us. Safe travels
21st September 2018

Voyage magnifique!
Bonjour, I have enjoyed your trip. Daughter Dana just returned from the southern coast of France. See you at Cedar Hammock. Au revoir, Linda
21st September 2018

The blog
We love the blog. Photos are fabulous. Thanks for letting us enjoy your trip with you. Fabulous

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 67; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb