International meal and Hameenlinna.


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland
August 30th 2014
Published: August 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

I'm so sleepy from all the walking that we have done today, but if i don't do it now, i never will.

After my twelve hour sleep friday night i woke up like a bear-wanting more sleep yesterday morning.



I met a new dorm/house mate yesterday, Sheena from Japan, she's studying footwear in the same campus and I in HAMK so i have someone to join me in the eight mile round trip we will have to do everyday.. on that note we walked down to the nearest bike shop, which is about a mile away from the dorm, only to find out that EVERYWHERE in Hameenlinna closes at 2 o'clock in the afternoon and almost everywhere shuts on sundays- so strange after living in cardiff...

Feeling defeated we thought we'd pick up some food for the evening and necessities for the week, including pens- because for some reason moving to uni in Finland i didn't bring a pen or pencil.. handy. We took the mile trek back home and got in about half three, after chilling for what seemed like no time, Heli phoned to say she was on her way into town to give us a tour of Hameenlinna, so once again we set off for the mile trek into town and then we went to see Hameenlinna, its beautiful, so many massive lakes and in the whole time I've been here i have not seen one bike completely chained up.. they just leave them on the side of the road and no one will pinch them- imagine that in Wales?! We walked right around Hameelinna, seeing the bars, stores and theatres- it's so peaceful and i think I've seen about ten cars in the entire time I've been here.

After we had walked around town and around the big supermarket, Sheena and I were literally crawling back to the dorms, this is where we really cheated and caught a taxi back- i won't even go into prices... i'll just say it was more than the beer for a five minute drive...



We got back to the dorms to have a relax before we all decided to cook food, we had arranged the previous night that we would all cook from our own countries, everything in wales is either something with beef, lamb or faggots and i can't read the packets of... so i was running out of ideas, luckily i'm the only British student at them moment and was lucky enough to get away with cooking something from the UK... Fish and chips i thought, sorted! No no... i had no luck finding, cod or anything similar because it was late in the afternoon.. so i opted for Fish fingers and chips ! haha. I think it went down well.. probably would have tasted a bit better if i had used oven chips not frying chips and cooked them in the oven... We had such a selection of food, Kartoffelsalat, Kaaspenkoek, tortilla de patatas, Pa amb tomaquet, Jamon serrano, queijadinhas and crepes! it was such a lovely funny night with my new Sairio family, after food we all washed up and then Jonathan brought down his guitar and everyone just sang along.

Although today has totally worn me out, (i'll write about that, after a nap!) I'm so grateful for the amazing people i have met already!! :D



Nos da!

xx

Total: 30/8/2014

Hours of sleep: 12

Miles walked: 5

money spent: 37.85 EUR

Advertisement



2nd September 2014

Welsh Girl overseas
I never had any doubt that you would not settle in and that you would not enjoy your new adventure. Your blogg as you would have hoped has brought tears to our eyes, you walking, can't believe it, you not stealing a bike is even more unbelievable especially when you think your from Neath. You making Fish Fingers and Chips, well you can take the girl out of Wales but never Wales out of the girl. Well done, a great Welsh Dish. Take care, Have a ball, I am sure you will , Aunty Car and Uncle Rich

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb