Here's Some Info


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
April 29th 2006
Published: April 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our fanbase has been asking some questions about Helsinki, apparently we aren't giving you guys enough details. You just can't get enough of us.
My mom asked about the buildings because all I said was that they were cute. They are not modern. There are no highrises which is nice. No buildings only made of glass. Alot of the buildings are attached and aren't more than 10 stories. Also they're painted nice bright colors. We have pictures but haven't found anywhere to upload pictures.
The computer at our hotel is a piece, it freezes every second, plus it wouldn't give us access to upload from our camera. Right now we're in a coffee place we're going to try to hook up to camera but have a feeling that that isn't allowed.
Everyone that we've met so far has been extremely nice. Most everyone here speaks English which is good because I refuse to learn anything new. KIDDING GUUUUUUUUUYYYYYYS!
They also speak Swedish, all signs are in Finnish and Swedish and some in English. Finnish is a hard language to understand. The words are about 20 letters long and that's just too much for us to compute. I have not travelled much but I was worried that they would see having to speak English to us as a pain in the ass, kind of like thte reaction you get from people in Montreal like you are the biggest moron they have ever met and they can't believe thatthey're going to have to speak English to you. Everyone here happily switches to English and even offers to help!
Sonja's sister Sara asked if we've had any culture shock moments. Well let us tell you....
this morning we decided to have McDonald's (we know! shut up) we ordered some El Maco Jr's and to our surprise they were smothered in a bbqesque sauce. BLAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!
SHCOOSIFO
So no, not really any culture shock yet.
ALSO THE TIME DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HERE AND WESTERN CANADA (ALBERTA AND SASK) IS 9 HOURS. WE ARE 9 HOURS A HEAD OF YOUUUUUUUUUUU. SO 7 HOURS FROM TORONTO. It is noon right now so it is 5am in Toronto and 3am in the Mid-West.
People dress the same here as they do in Canada, more like Toronto. Except the dudes wear tighter pants (Sonja is in heaven) and they all have "man shoes" (aka skiis). Lots of blonde people and most people here are white. the ladies are pretty.
We went to a movie last night. Freedomland which was pretty good. They have seat assignment at the movies!!!! The movie played in English with Finnish AND Swedish subtitles. Good thing for us.
Tyborg Futureman asked us what we've been eating. Pizza, burgers, sushi and coffee. All Finnish of course.
Matt Farris asked how many countries we are hitting up. Well Matt, we are on one of seven. I would like to refer you to our "route map" that Sonja worked so hard on. But I will list them for you here:
Finland (been there done that)
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Poland
Czech Republic
Austria
Soj's folks wanted to know about the weather. Today it is cold-ish and windy. very much like Saskatchewan at this time. It's been kind of cloudy but between 5 and 10 degrees. So not hot but ok. It was supposed to rain but I think that's passed.
We're going on a tour thing afternoon after we have some more coffee and tonight we're hitting the sauna because sauna's are a big deal here.
We have no idea how long it will take for postcards to get home but we have done 14 so far so expect one soon, unless we don't like you or you didn't give us your address.
Thanks for the messages!! We like hearing from you. And the questions because sometimes I worry that writing all the details is boring.
We get to check our email fairly often so keep them coming!!!
Love Us

P.S. The Finnish people were just telling us last night how they would like a big dose of Matt Farris.

Advertisement



29th April 2006

Your blog is good and much appreciated ! Keep it coming as we do find it interesting. I can't believe you haven't mentioned what kind of cars they drive and what the auto parts stores look like ? Dadio

Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb