Happy Wappu!


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
May 1st 2007
Published: May 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today is the end of my impromptu four day weekend. We were all set to work through the weekend on the Treehouse project but we were too efficient on Thursday and Friday, leaving ourselves short of work until more wood is delivered. Also, the school has been closed for the past two days due to the Wappu (pronounced vap-poo) celebrations.

Wappu descends from Labour Day traditions and is a huge event for students but is celebrated by all. The actual Wappu day is May 1st but the partying starts up to a week ahead of that. On April 30th at 6pm everyone brings bottles of sparkiling wine and heads into Helsinki to the statue of Havis Amanda (Manta). The statue is cleaned by representatives of the student guilds and they place the Teekari cap on her head.

The Teekari cap is worn by all students (current or former) who have earned the right to wear one by being a member of the student union for at least one year. Everyone who has one wears it proudly through the streets and in the restaurants and bars. Students at the technical universities also wear overalls which signify which guild they
Crowning Havis AmandaCrowning Havis AmandaCrowning Havis Amanda

The magic hat lifts them up, blows smoke, and shoots confetti!
belong to. For example white overalls represent the Architecture guild.

After the crowning of the statue the crowd continues to celebrate and drink, and drink, and drink. There are many outdoor concerts and the streets are lined with happy Finns.

May 1st, the official day of Wappu. This day is celebrated by everyone as it is a national holiday and all the shops are closed. Most people in Helsinki head to Kaivopuisto park or other smaller parks for picnics. The park today was packed wall to wall. I went with some friends from school and we had a good time but went home when we got tired of the cold weather (don't be fooled by the blue skies and sun!). I guess we're not true Finns or we would have been partying all night. We had an eclectic picnic including Japanese snacks (plum wine, seaweed, and rice balls), Finn goodies, and some American/Canadian snacks (caramel popcorn, chocolate chip cookies, and peanut butter and jam sandwiches). I shared the sandwiches and it was a first for Ayana, Franta, and Michaela!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Eric and KatherineEric and Katherine
Eric and Katherine

Waiting for something to happen...
AyanaAyana
Ayana

Wearing her overalls and finnish flags.
Havis Amanda with her cap!Havis Amanda with her cap!
Havis Amanda with her cap!

let the party begin!
Following the crowd...Following the crowd...
Following the crowd...

Where will we end up? I like the yellow overalls, I wonder what guild that's for...
Free concert at Senaatintori (Senate Square)Free concert at Senaatintori (Senate Square)
Free concert at Senaatintori (Senate Square)

Too many people to find a seat!
Wappu day picnic!Wappu day picnic!
Wappu day picnic!

Michaela and Franta trying peanut butter and jam sandwiches.


1st May 2007

i'm filled with envy of that man's cider helmet.
4th May 2007

What about the project?
I was very excited to see that you were starting to build - but no pictures of the project! It's like a soap opera on hiatus! The churches were spectacular.
17th May 2007

Hyvää Vappua!
Hello, i stumbled upon your blog and am glad (but also envious :P) that you attended Vappu this year! I studied in Turku for 2006 and attended Vappu then, and i thought it was one of the strangest festivals ive seen! But i loved every minute of this alcohol-induced mayhem, and i hope you did too!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb