The Layover Diaries: Helsinki


Advertisement
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
October 2nd 2022
Published: October 4th 2022
Edit Blog Post

When I look for flights for my visits to Singapore, in addition to searching for flights departing Honolulu, I often search for flights from Los Angeles because there are more connecting options between LAX and SIN, and the fares, even with a HNL-LAX return added, can be cheaper. This time, on a whim, I selected Business Class in my search parameters, and an intriguing and inexpensive (for Busines... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Uspenski Cathedral
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Uspenski Cathedral
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

I thought this gull looked rather insouciant as it hung out atop a van.
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Helsinki Cathedral atop the Senate Square steps.
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

A statue of Alexander II. Look closely at his head; perched atop is an insouciant gull.
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

A closeup of more insouciant gulls.
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Helsinki Cathedral
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Helsinki Cathedral
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Senate Square as viewed from atop the steps.
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Senate Square
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Pohjola Insurance Building
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Pohjola Insurance Building
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Amos Rex, with people hanging out on the sloping roof.
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Amos Rex
Layover 1Layover 1
Layover 1

Kamppi Chapel
Layover 2Layover 2
Layover 2

My snack of smoked salmon on rye while I waited for the ferry.
Layover 2Layover 2
Layover 2

The ferry.
Layover 2Layover 2
Layover 2

One of the small islands en route to Suomenlinna.
Layover 2Layover 2
Layover 2

Church bell.
Layover 2Layover 2
Layover 2

Suomenlinna Church.



4th October 2022

Credit Due to You!
Wow, I give you a lot of credit for venturing out of the airport during your layovers! You certainly saw and experienced quite a bit of the city between both layovers. It's been quite a few years since I visited Helsinki for a day as a port call, but I do recall ambling around the area at the waterfront, the long park near by, having lunch there and doing a tiny bit of shopping. Unfortunately I did not see the Suomenlinna Fortress but thankfully visited the Uspenski Cathedral, and a few other places you saw. Thanks for sharing your interesting photos and descriptions of what you were able to see --- I probably wouldn't even be able to understand the train schedule there!
4th October 2022

Thanks!
Thanks for complimenting my labeling of photos. Thanks to computers and mobile devices, many of us nowadays are visual learners, so the people who take the time to label their photos are the ones who get my clicks!
7th October 2022

Business Class
We've never flown business class but it is on our bucket list. If the price was right I'd go to Helsinki also. Looks like you made the best of your short visit.
7th October 2022

Do it!
The trouble with flying premium classes - especially the ones with lie flat seats - is that you’ll never want to fly economy class again! But, you have to try it at least once :-)
13th November 2022

Helsinki and Layovers
Gosh, I would never have thought of looking to travel to Singapore from Hawaii by going eastwards! It looks like you bagged some good deals, but they were some seriously long flights and layovers! Well done on being able to do so many long journey legs, and great to hear you were able to take advantage of your times in Helsinki. I love the city's architecture in your photos, and I have a feeling the underground hillocks in the fortress would have been where they would have stored ammunition. English fortresses have these, so in case there was an accident and they caught fire, the exploding damage would be limited being underground. Nice to see you have seen some more insouciant birds, and I've also tried and failed to make a joke out of the SIN to HEL flight - there must be one, surely!
13th November 2022

Taking The Long Way
Hi Alex. I would not have done this trip in Economy Class… just thinking about it makes my back hurt LOL. I really enjoyed Helsinki and this was a fun introduction to a new country.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb