Helsinki, Finland


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
June 23rd 2018
Published: June 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our trip to Helsinki was a brief one unfortunately. We left Tallinn and boarded the ferry, Business Class of course. Free food and drink for the entire trip. As it was early morning we started with coffee. A smooth ride and a look in the duty free store. We had lunch before we left the boat, as we started our city tour from the pier when we arrived. We visited the abstract Sibelius monument which was very controversial as it looks like organs but Sibelius wrote very little music for organs. The artist placated people by adding the face of Sibelius next to the sculpture. Next we visited the Temppeliaukio “rock” church which was quarried out of the ground. No gold, no icons, just a copper dome, exposed rock walls and concrete beams. It is used as a church and concerts are also held there. You must be a member of the congregation to be married there. You can’t just front up and pay money.

Finished at the Helsinki Lutheran Cathedral and wandered down to the markets. Unfortunately as we had landed in Helsinki on St John’s day (the summer solstice) many things were closed ( including some public WCs). The weather was fabulous and we enjoyed our walk around this lovely city.

To the hotel and then off to St Petersburg by coach tomorrow


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb