Cruising the Norwegian Sea


Advertisement
Faroe Islands' flag
Europe » Faroe Islands
August 1st 2013
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 1st August, 2013. Crossing the Norwegian Sea En Route to Faroe Islands.

The Norwegian Sea, a part of the North Atlantic Ocean, is positioned roughly to the northwest of Norway and to the southeast of Greenland. It merges with the Barents Sea off the northern coast of Norway, and with the waters of the North Sea to the southeast of the Faroe Islands. We spent the day attending lectures, reading and eating. The weather was very windy so we didn't go out on deck.

During the day an announcement was made that, due to the weather, there was to be a change of port of call. We were supposed to be going to the capital of the Faroes, Torshavn, which is situated on the island of Streymoy (an island about the same size as the Isle of Wight) but instead we would be gong to a place called Klaksvik - a place neither of us had ever heard of! After getting out the Atlas we found that Klaksvic was located on an island in part of the island group known as the Northern Islands. According to the captain, this port was much more sheltered than Torshavn and we could dock safely. At least we were still going to the Faroe Islands!

We spent a pleasant evening on-board and retired wondering what the town of Klaksvic would bring.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb