The Faroe Islands with Serena Maneesh


Advertisement
Faroe Islands' flag
Europe » Faroe Islands
July 20th 2007
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jan and I sat enjoying smuggled cocktails at the airport bar while waiting the 2 extra hours for our flight to belatedly land. The small plane dumped off its passengers and within minutes we were sitting inside the 19 year old plane which looked/smelled like it was 50. Jan’s cousin was on board as a stewardess and so she reserved the best beverages for us to enjoy on our outward journey to the north Atlantic.

The pilot took an extra long round before touching down since the weather was perfect to enjoy the glorious views of the Faroe’s from above. This did not sit well with Tommy who was busting for the toilet and actually went as far as looking for an empty bottle…


We arrived, passed through security with no apparent issues, loaded into the bus and commenced on our two hour journey to Gøta. The bizarre nature was only tainted by the lady who hogged the microphone and told story after story about Gods and Trolls without pausing for breath. God how I wished for my ipod.

Our home for the weekend was a band house situated 7 kms from the festival site beneath giant mountains. Emil, Jan and I spent the few hours before sleep sipping red wine and changing strings on guitars.

Two days passed like a whirrrrr……walking in the blissful sunshine, meeting old friends, setting up, playing, watching a few other bands, heading to the backstage area to eat incredible food, staying up till 4am to watch a French band while eating pepper steaks with fries, heading home to get some energy for the fishing trip…. All heading out on a small boat, lines out, 23 cod caught in 2 hours, Eivind making sure they were dead by bludgeoning them with a champagne bottle, sitting on the front of the boat basking in the glory……sun beating down and so peaceful. Then headed back to the mainland, dropped off the fish at the VIP boat where the captain would commence to cook them expertly for us to enjoy later, sitting on the wooden ship as bands played in the distance….bobbing up and down eating fresh caught fish and drinking Faroese beer.. wonderful…

Then back to the site for more food, more talks, more nonsense at the backstage room…..

Sunday morning. Breakfast. Packing. Pick-up. Goodbyes. Airport. Same old banger. 3 hours later Oslo appears once again, Kim came to pick us up in the Silver van, and its back on the highway to town again….. back to normal life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb