Tallinn


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
August 30th 2006
Published: September 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was!

Took it easy the first day. Day two got up early to see the city. Turns out (We weren't paying attention when we arrived) we were situated right in the middle of the old town. The polish weather followed us and it poured rain the whole day. This drove us to a tour of the "Oldest City Hall in Northern Europe" and vast improvement in our knowledge of limestone. Who knew there was so much to know about limestone...... In fairness the interior was beautiful and quite interesting. We found an english bar as the craving for burgers was too strong. Ended up heading back there that evening for a few drinks. Met two guys, one Estonian and one Russian. The Estonian guy convinced us he had contacts in every nightclub in town but having him with us seemed to work against us and we couldn't get in anywhere.

After wandering the old town we met a scottish bloke all excited abouth the Scotland V Faroe Islands. Stuart was enroute to the Scotland Lithuania game in Vilinus on Wednesday. He was great fun and after unpacking the Irish flag we headed to the pub. As the Irish
Jacks Motley ArmyJacks Motley ArmyJacks Motley Army

A Scot,Ciaran, Ronan, Stuart, Philip (Part of the home support),No idea, Donny, No idea
pubs were so dead we ended up back in the English pub where England were trashing Andorra, Found one other irish man (Donny from Drogheda) and lots of Germans. Had a good laugh despite the result and gloating from Philip our new german friend.

After a morning of match analysis we headed off to see the remainder of the city. Visited the old fortress and a cathedral which was once the tallest building in the world - 124 meters for those of you interested. Also saw the old city walls which are still pretty much there. Made our way to the bus station (Having discovered the previous day there is no rail connection to St Petersburg) for our overnight bus to Russia, slightlly apprehensive about what awaits..


Next Stop St Petersburg.......



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb