Tallin, Estonia- A quick ½ day!


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
July 7th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Gate the walled "Old Town"Gate the walled "Old Town"Gate the walled "Old Town"

Outside one of the gates to the Old Town of Tallin.
Well dear blog readers, we have to admit that we knew nothing of Tallin, Estonia before today! ;-)

We were so surprised at how much we loved it. Talllin is on the Baltic Sea and has an “Old City” behind walls and a new city with skyscrapers. We walked through the old city with a guide taking us on a tour of places where Peter the Great had impact on Tallin. Peter was 6'7" and could speak their language which helped a great deal as they could communicate. Tallin has had many ruling countries and only recently got it’s own money back…..now so many people here do not want to give it up for the Euro, but that is coming in a couple of years, despite the resistance.

We also visited Peter the Great’s small home which he used when he visited.

Inside the walled city, there are now shops and a marketplace with the best and most beautiful local goods we have seen this entire trip. There were woolen sweaters, gloves and hats. There were beautiful handcrafted wooden spoons and other kitchen items and lovely linen clothing, all made here. Small cafes and restaurants that looked wonderful
Cute, cute, schoolchildrenCute, cute, schoolchildrenCute, cute, schoolchildren

Schoolchildren in Tallin on their way to visit the President's Palace.
with flowers everywhere and very friendly people. And… yes, they dress exactly as we do! and drink diet coke ( er..I mean Coke light) ;-)

Our tour guide told us that before their independence they had money but no goods to buy and now they have goods to buy but no money. Ah.. the truth all over the world.

Tonight we’re going to watch the World Cup between Germany and Spain and it’s formal night at dinner…of course when traveling in a 21” duffle bag, formal clothing is quite limited…Jean has to decide whether to wear her one black skirt or one pair of black pants…decisions, decisions!!! ;-)

The trip is winding down… only 17 days to go… is that really possible?? ;-) Tomorrow, Gdansk, Poland.


Advertisement



9th July 2010

"Only 17 days"
I think that's the first time I've heard someone say a trip was "winding down" with 17 days to go. :)
9th July 2010

Again...thanks so much for allowing me to live vicariously through all your travels. This blog has been fabulous. Every day when I open my email I look forward to a new entry popping up! This has certainly been the trip of a lifetime. stay well my friends, Kathy B

Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb