Lets go to Russia


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Narva
December 30th 2014
Published: August 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 59.3743, 28.1823

"Look we can go to the most easterly point in the EU" is definitely how every good holiday idea should begin! Chris has been reading this in a book and we decided that it was something we should at least check out. Research and a trip to the bus station to buy a ticket followed and we prepared for another early start (this was becoming a theme on this trip). 

We got up at the un-holiday like time of 5:45am and began our walk to the tram stop for the tram to the bus station. Fuelled with weird cheese filled croissants and an espresso, we boarded the bus (I say boarded because it was very much like getting on a plane) and set off for Narva. These buses were much better than anything I've seen in the UK. There were airline like TVs in the back of every seat with videos, TV shows, shopping and a GPS map of the journey. Also, despite the miles covered, the public transport was on-time to the minute; something we both found very impressive.  As the days are so short here, we boarded the bus in darkness, saw the most beautiful sunrise across the flat Estonian landscape and through the communist-like- architecture towns. 3 hours later and we arrived in Narva, just across the border from Russia. 

Our first stop was the train station to try to buy a ticket on the twice a day train from Narva to Tallinn. Walking in to the old, single roomed building, we couldn't see a manned desk, a ticket machine or anybody to talk to apart from the person in passport control. Through communication in little English and many hand gestures, we ascertained that the train did go from here and if we came back later, we would be able to buy tickets on the train. We just hoped that the doors would magically unlock and allow us out of the station and onto the platform at that time. 

We then walked the 10 minutes into central Narva in the -15oC windchill and found tourist information and probably the most helpful people ever to be found in such an establishment. After politely telling me that no, there was no way into Russia without a visa and no, there was no way of getting a visa then and there, they plied us with leaflets, maps and plenty of ideas of what/where to see. 

Our first stop was the University where we had been told that there was good food and 'something special' on today. This was about a 15 minute walk from the Tourist Information office, past the border control area and down the promenade along the river. The university was a former Russian red-brick building with a modern 'peak' sticking out the top. It was next to a more traditional town hall building and the contrast could not have been starker. The 'something special' was an exhibition on the exercise required to burn off different foods and what junk food does to the body. Just what we wanted to see before we devoured the most delicious piece of chocolate cake in the cafe. 

After this we headed back to the promenade where the workers had helpfully cleared alot of the snow off the path. We then proceeded to freeze our fingers off taking many pictures and videos of Russia, the border, and carefully positioning ourselves between the two castles on etiher side of the border to achieve that 'ultimate photo'. After this we walked back, past the tourist information, to the Hermann Castle - the must see sight in Narva. Founded in 1256 by the Danes to counter the threat of Russia, this castle is much less imposing than that the Russian equilivant - Ivangorod - on the other side of the river. Inside we found a sprat museum, and an 8 story tower with an exhibition about the castle, the life of those in it, toys and wildlife spread over it's floors. At the top was a wooded walkaround - something I was not too keen on! It was an old tower, the wooden floors were suspended over a big drop to the ground, and there was daylight between the slats - no thank you! Chris however, wanted to walk around and take photos out of the small windows, so rather nervously, off we set. The view was beautiful and it was evident how built up this part of Estonia was in comparison with the Russian counterpart. 

After this, we decided enough was enough and headed to buy supplies for our train trip back. Once at the train station, we entered a pitch-black waiting room. The only light in the entire building was coming from the closed passport control room. We figured that we must be in the right place as there were also other people waiting. Finally, the previously locked doors were opened and we walked across some tracks, past the long oil-transporting train, and only a really very nice, spacious, modern train. Paying €16 total for the 3 hour trip, which left on-time, and had free wifi and very comfy seats was definitely a bargain! As we were 200km from Tallinn only 94km from St Petersburg, I think that this is definitely a train trip which we will do again in the future! 

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb