Ever heard a duck complain?


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark
June 30th 2017
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today the ducks are complaining - too much rain! We are wet but happy on the quaint island of Aero in a village that has stood still in time. Most of the buildings are original 1600 -1700AD, the roads are wide enough for one car and all are cobblestone. The locals don't close their blinds, if they even have any. In the evening it is a brilliant walk along the streets peering into the rooms! A funny thing here - some places have these little black things attached to the windows. We found out that they are mirrors for the occupants of the house to be nosey by seeing what is coming and going up and down the street. Whew, I thought I was nosey. These people have got it covered!

Let me back up a few days. We arrived in Kalmar, Sweden to our lovely hotel - or so we thought. The reception area is fantastic but we were told that we were across the street. If I said it was a university dorm room, it would be a compliment. It was clean enough but not the standard to which we have become!

We enjoyed the castle grounds and the downtown area. Weather was still dry at this time.

Off to Odense. This is the home of Hans Christian Andersen, aurthor of many children's books Like The Little Mermaid, Ugly Duckling and The Emporer's New Clothes.

Our resting place was quite nice, just outside the downtown area. Unfortunately for the other guests, it was a shared bathroom place! Need I say more?

That brings us to where we are today - Aeroskobing. Yesterday we took the bikes that belong to the proprietor and decided to explore with the intent of finding a local brewery. Not all things are possible. Poor Colin had a bike that was in permanent 10th gear which made hill climbing a little challenging. If I had that bucket of bolts, we would not have made it to the end of the street. However, my bike was not without fault. When was the last time I rode a bike where the brakes came on by peddling backward? I was about 7. Couldn't figure out why I was slowing down whilst coasting. Silly me! Anyway, we never did find the brewery, it started raining and we were somewhat lost. Still smiling and laughing at the predicament we were in, we made our way back to the town and rewarded our very wet selves with a delicious ice cream! We will be going to get another one when I am done writing this blog!

This morning we woke to rain, not drizzle but rain. We waited a while before venturing out and took the free island transit to another small town where not much was open. Hopped back on the bus to return and are now hold up in our room. Good thing the ice cream store is next door!

Off to Copenhagen tomorrow. Hopefully it is a little drier there. I must say though that this is the first and hopefully the last day where the weather has put a damper on our outside activities.

Searching for dryer weather......

Sorry, no pictures this time. ..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb