Day 5 - Skagen


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark
May 19th 2008
Published: May 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke up in Odense to find that everything is closed on Monday, so we drove straight to Skagen to try and make it a productive day. It was about a 4 hour drive or so, but it was well worth it. The harbor town is quaint and welcoming, and the sun was bright. They refer to the famous "Skagen light", and I hope to post pictures to give you an idea of what they mean. We chose to stay at the Hotel Petit and got a great rate on a room with a balcony view. We went to dinner at the Skagen Fiskrestaurant, and Mom and I both ordered the Halibut over spinach and risotto. It was one of the best meals we had the entire trip, and we followed it up with two traditional Danish bitters (like moonshine) flavored like cranberry and blackberry. I don't think I will ever need to try any of that again - it was quite strong! We called it an early night, and I slept very well that night after the previous night's stay in the hostel. We walked around Skagen the next morning and visited the Skagen Museum, which was having some kind of anniversary exhibit. The Danish artists paint a lot of boats, old women, sailors, and dogs. Paint what you know, I guess. We spent the rest of the day driving, because we started out heading to Esbjerg. We decided a little way through that we wanted to be closer to the coast nearest Odense so we could get an early start on driving back to see all that was closed on Monday, so we headed to Fredericia. All of the hotels in Fredericia were booked, so they called Odense for us and reserved a room for us at Hotel Domir's sister hotel on the same street, Ydes Hotel. Once we got there, Mom and I were both starving so we walked into a hidden gem called Brandt's Passage that was full of tasty-looking restaurants. We chose a fancy Italian restarant called La Piazza, and it was delicious! If you are ever in Odense, find Brandt's Passage and go to this restaurant.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb