Day 19 Denmark to Scotland


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark
September 6th 2018
Published: September 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

This morning we bid goodbye to Casa Corner B&B and Aalborg. While located close to the town centre the room we had was really stuffy and Denmark's weather has been really hot and the Danes are just not equipped to weather more akin to Brisbane. We did say farewell to the Danish couple that we met earlier in their stay and they wish us safe travels.

Our taxi was booked for 8:30 and at 8:28 we went outside just as he pulled up, perfect timing. The taxi was a VW people mover, enter through a middle sliding door. The driver asked Wayne to let him know when the coast was clear so he could reverse out on to the busy main thoroughfare in to the South of Aalborg. When Wayne give him the good to go Wayne jumped back in to the taxi and bashed his head on the roof of the taxi. It was a pretty hard hit that opened Wayne's head up in a couple of places, nothing too bad it did hurt.

On arriving at Aalborg Airport we were greeted by the nicest check in agent. We told of him our past experiences with SAS and he tried to organize us seats that would give us some leg room. Unfortunately both flights were full and there was nothing he could do for us except apologise profusely, which he did many times. As we were pretty early we had a cool drink, already about 20 degrees and very humid, before doing the customary pass through security.

We departed Aalborg on time and arrived in Copenhagen right on time. We now had around 90 minutes to kill while waiting for our connection to Edinburgh. 90 minutes went real quick by the time you walk from one end of Copenhagen Airport to the other, pass through immigration, find a bite to eat, quickly eat it and then find the gate. We then boarded our flight, found our seat and then worked out why the airline is called SAS. SAS is an abbreviation of Sheep And Sardines, the way they treat their customers. Herd them like sheep and then pack them in like sardines. The aircraft on the Copenhagen to Edinburgh leg was identical to what QANTAS used to operate their Canberra to Brisbane flights on when Wayne worked for Greyhound and would fly regularly to their head office in the early 90s.

We then sat on the tarmac in our sardine tin for around 30 minutes, no announcements let alone an apology. We then took off 30 minutes late and the flight went uneventfully except for the growing pains in our legs from not being able to move them and the arrogant twit in front of us who persisted in pushing back on his seat regularly crushing both our legs. On arrival in Edinburgh we sat on the tarmac again for a further 15 minutes while they found somewhere for us to park. This is now getting out of hand as a bus arrived on the tarmac to take us to the terminal. It was a crush on the bus so I said to Vicki let's just wait we're already late now it won't matter. Then one of the "lovely" airport staff said there is no other bus you have to board that one. Wayne said oh really, that's no trouble for me but some the other passengers mightn't like my 195cm heavy set frame pushing them like a rugby union front rower. But ok let's give this a go.

We made it on to the bus and now for the theme park ride to the terminal. It was akin to the back lot tour at Universal Studios, minus the Jaws replica but there were plenty of other scary bits on the ride. Then we go in to Scottish border control. Now we've just spent 45 minutes doing nothing plus a further 90 minutes of flight time and at no point did anyone tell us we need to fill in a travelers card. Welcome to Scotland has been a rude woman on the tarmac at Edinburgh Airport and now we meet Mr Personality on Border Security. After filling in the travelers card we then wait for him to call us up. We were dead set interrogated by this rude and ignorant man. Eventually we played his game and got through intact, mind you I'm sure a full cavity search wasn't that far away.

So far we've met two Scottish people and if the rest of the country is like this then get me the hell out of this place! We then collected our bags and headed to the car rental area and to the AVIS counter. Thank god some nice Scottish people. Shannon is a credit to AVIS, just lovely. She went through the process with Wayne while Vicki "patiently" waited after enduring her day. We then went out to the yard to collect our car, a Peugot 3008 SUV automatice - very nice.

We then drove the half hour or so to the Scottish countryside outside of Edinburgh to our Air BnB Carberry. It is a beautiful old farmhouse with 6 or 7 bedrooms, sitting rooms, study etc with beautiful views over the farmland around the property. Just stunning!

Vicki's sister Karen (The Birthday Girl), her husband Brian (Tourist's Tourist), their son Jackson (Billy The Kid), Vicki's brother Jason and his mate Ron (Lost and Found) are already at Carberry waiting for us and well prepared. We've just enjoyed dinner of cheese, meat, dips, bread, beer, wine, gin and other goodies and feeling really no pain after what has been an interesting day.

We're planning on visiting the Royal Mile tomorrow followed by a visit to Edinburgh Castle - till then good night from Edinburgh!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



8th September 2018

Welcome to the UK!
I've never had a friendly UK entry - it's always an interrogation, as if I'm going to try to sneak in and work or worse, like what? Convert the marmite eaters to vegemite? Trick is to smile, suck it up and try to get through it without being sarcastic. Too hard! Glad you're settled in with a drink in hand!
8th September 2018

Sarcastic is my middle name ????

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb